What does it mean...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thodinc

Solid State Member
What does it mean when you turn your monitor up to full brightness and contrast, and the screen is still too dark too see much? I have an Acer V771 (the 17" one) and what I've noticed is that the brighter colors are too bright and the dark colors are too dark at full brightness and contrast. Any lower and you can't really see anything on the screen. Although I have noticed that when the brightness or contrast is turned down, everything has a pinkish hue, meaning something's up with the red channel (I think). Any suggestions?

It means either the monitor is fading because of age, or there are software settings that are not correct. Check in your video card drivers.

Well, I HAVE reinstalled the drivers and Windows a million times since this problem came up (for various reasons), but it's never changed. I think it's something wrong with the CRT, but I can't be sure. Been ages since I've opened up a monitor and even if I did, I wouldn't know what to do.

I almost for sure that your monitor starting to die. Ive had that same problem. Eventually the Cathode Ray that shoots the electrons on the phosperouse material on your monitor will fade out and not work... monitors are hardly ever a cheap fix and you just may be better off getting a new one... it sucks but I think thats what you are going to have to do.

Remember, if you open it there could be 1000s of volts in there. Could just be age, we all fade with age. Get it checked out by a proffessional.

yeah there is a HUGE capacitor in that monitor that keeps a CHARGE FATAL CHARGE sometimes long after you even unplug the monitor. In my printer monitor repair class we would have to use a device that im sure you dont have to discharge the capacitor before we even touch the thing. its best not to even open it up.

there are printer monitor repair classes?!? awesome! :D damn, wish i had those here. anyway, tx guys ill see what i can do. but if i DO have to get new one, whats good nowadays? im not looking for something very expensive, but it should at least have good color and be very very sharp in displaying text and all that. the last time i bought a monitor was 3 years ago and at that time viewsonic flats seemed to be the best buy. what bout now?

Are you interested in flat screen CRT or TFT?

If TFT, Viewsonic are still doing well, one of the first to bring out a 4ms response time TFT. I have noticed a lot of hi spec off the shelf machines are shipping with Viewsonics now.

It's all a question of taste and budget. Have a look around a few of the online magazines and forums like this and you should get some idea of what you want.

Be aware of:
response time
Viewing Angles
Contrast ratios
Transition between colours and representation of colours

But most of all read what the reviewers have to say, some are biased so look at a few.

disconnect the monitor, let the monitor self test show up and see if the RGB looks fine. If not, its the monitor. Usually this is because the RGB intensity is not handling the correct voltage to the individual pixels (variation in voltage creates different shades) and that is probably the problem you're seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom