windows xp install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobr497

Baseband Member
When I bought my latest comp windows xp home was on it. I made recovery disks the first thing. My question is can I buy a new hard drive for my old comp and use those disks to install xp on my other computer?

its worth a shot. i can't tell you yes or no for sure. they may have checks in the software to look for certain/marked hardware, but myabe they don't.

I would say no. since it is an OEM version not a Full version it is made specifically for you system it was bought with. If it is a Dell and you use it on another none Dell system you will get all sorts of errors. At least i did when i tried it before.

They are both Compaq systems, by the way. How about if I install new hard drive as slave and transfer os to it, remove it and install it in other comp? Thanks for the responses.

I wish it was just that easy to transfer an OS like a copy and paste deal but its nto that simple. Since both are Compaqs you can try it i dont think Compaq does what Dell does and make their disks system oriented.

O.K. thanks very much.The reason I wanted to try this, my teenage daughter is moving out and the old comp has win98. I kept having trouble with it which is why I got new comp. I wanted to update old comp and give to her. Any way thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom