Building a new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
Well I'm planning to put together my own PC but I don't know where I'm to begin. Can you help me out with some recommendations on the actual Hardware to get? I can get everything slightly below factory direct or slightly below enployee discount because of my uncle's job so I plan to buy everything from him. Sorry for all the questions I'm more of a software guy than a hardware guy.

I'm looking for a nice 64bit system.

I'm not a big gamer at all but I do want a 128-256 meg ATI Raidon varient.

As for Hard Drives I hg 7200RPMave a 80gig 7200RPM, 120gi, and a 10gig at an unknown RPM. Can I get a large tower case to put all three of these in one PC? Also the 80 and 120 are IDE so is the 10 but it is from my broken Xbox I'm sure with some modification it's compatible for a PC right?

I got all the keyboard, speaker, and moniter junk so I just need the PC.

What are good NIC cards that come with a hardware firewall?

Do you think it's a bad time to build a PC now with HD-DVD, Blue Ray, and Windows Vista re-shaping computers in late 2006?

What is some of the better cooling fans you can buy for the tower, chips, expansion bays?

What is a nice floppy bay that supports multi media such as flash and floppy media?

What is a good type of RAM, I plan to have 2.5gig or 3 gig I know it's not really needed but when I can get the stuff cheap why not.

I'm looking for names of hardware you recommend. I don't mind if it's the more expensive stuff as I can get it cheap but no $5000 CPU recmendations ok :) .

As for building a computer now, I would say go for it. I kind of doubt that blu-ray is going to completely reshape computers and make regular disks obsolete. As for vista, its not like you can't upgrade to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom