did i short my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord nikon007

Baseband Member
i just bought a new case and moved all my hardware from the old one to the newer one but when i connected everything and pressed the power button the fans lit up for a second and then everything just died. i unhooked the optical drives and tried again..same thing. unhooked everything else and just had the mobo powered and still the same thing.

have i shorted the mobo from touching it too much or something?

You probolly forgot the 4 pin molex power connector. Or the PSU had some charge, but it was not recieving power

yeah i have the 4 pin connector in place as i checked that one like first thing. in terms of the PSU getting no charge what can i do to fix it? will i have to get another board?

i would say yes. becuz my first pc i ever assembled was built on my carpet...and it did that same thing u speak of....i RMA'd it and it worked fine afterwards...but that doesnt mean u shouldnt try a few other things first and rule them out ...

but what else can i do to make sure that its not just my mobo thats jacked? i mean its cool with all the advice but what can i do to make sure that thats whats problem

KMOTE said:
I'm unclear, were you grounded?

i was sitting on the ground...i thought that counted as being grounded? but its not distributing power to the entire motherboard thats why i think theres a short somewhere.

and the screwdriver i used i think had a magnet in it. that affect anything?

Check your processor and bios chips are seated properly, and everything else come to think of it.

Always switch off the PC, unplug and touch the metal case before touching components. Handle components/ cards by their metal edges, normally chrome and not the edge connectors etc.

Doesn't sound good though.

Could be your power supply, as jerry 5739 said. Can you get hold of another to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom