Steps B4 First Power-Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-Strike

Daemon Poster
Getting my 2nd build on Tuesday off of Newegg, and I need to know what steps have to be done before first boot-up.

Say I have the motherboard in, everything in place, all drives connected. I also have my power button connected, case fans, LED's, etc..

Now when I press the power button what should I be looking/listening for?

Look for POST. Hit del to access BIOS and configure as needed then install Windows....

Ok, so should I listen for any beeps or anything? I just go into BIOS after post, and make the IDE drive the first boot device, then setup windows?

Beeps? Yes. If you have A+ Certification, or a A+ Certification book lying around, there is information on what the beeps mean. They indicate errors in the installation, hardware errors.

Where you are, theoretically, I am in reality, lol. I've gone through my BIOS and stuff but the damn thing won't recognize that I even have a HDD -_-. It won't say, "Ok, this is your SATA HDD with 160GB of HD space."

Flanker said:
Where you are, theoretically, I am in reality, lol. I've gone through my BIOS and stuff but the damn thing won't recognize that I even have a HDD -_-. It won't say, "Ok, this is your SATA HDD with 160GB of HD space."
You need to get the SATA drivers on a floppy and put it in when you install XP. Soon into the installation, on the bottom of the screen you will see something like "hit F6 to install SCSI drivers." Hit F6 there and you should be good to go.

Sorry to hijack your thread Counter-Strike, but it'll just take a sec.

But its not a SCSI HDD, its SATA. That might not mean anything as far as I know, but just thought it might mean something to you. Ok, so after I've installed the SCSI drivers and XP, then I can go back to my BIOS and it will know that I have a HDD? One other question, is it normal for the BIOS to not recognize a SATA HDD at "first boot?" Lastly, should I just put in the OS installation CD? Without having a recognized HDD to install it on? Will that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom