Hey, Graphic card help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats something thats controversial. The 6800 is more expensive than the 6600GT, thats one thing. Personally, I don't care much about their hardware specs., sorry. But, as for Performance, I believe the 6800 performs better in some situations, and the 6600GT performs better in other situations. If you tell me what kind of games he plays most (I'm guessing FPS) then I could recommend one over the other.

He plays:

CS:S
Half life 2
Far Cry once in a long while
BF 2
Mostly CS S and HL2

FPS then. The 6800 performs better than the 6600GT in FPSs. Not by much, mind you, only about 15% better. You have to decide if that 15% is worth the money.

Does your brother have a AGP or PCIx16 motherboard?

Oh no. It only has the same chipset. Well, its a AGP. The 6800 is being sold on Newegg.com for $189 wo/ shipping. The 6600GT is being sold on the same site for $145 wo/ shipping.

One last thing I just noticed. The Core Clock of the 6800 is 325 MHz, while the 6600GT has a 500 MHz core clock. Thats quite a difference and I would personally like to recommend the 6600GT ;).

This is the 6600GT from Newegg.com.

I know its PNY and is only rated 4 stars, but I love the one I have.

The eVGA one has like 177 reviews and is rated 5 stars. You have to deal with a $15 mail-in-rebate though. If you want, I can like you to the eVGA one also.

EDIT: If you're still interested in the 6800, I could link you to that also.

Flanker said:
Oh no. It only has the same chipset. Well, its a AGP. The 6800 is being sold on Newegg.com for $189 wo/ shipping. The 6600GT is being sold on the same site for $145 wo/ shipping.

One last thing I just noticed. The Core Clock of the 6800 is 325 MHz, while the 6600GT has a 500 MHz core clock. Thats quite a difference and I would personally like to recommend the 6600GT ;).

This is the 6600GT from Newegg.com.

I know its PNY and is only rated 4 stars, but I love the one I have.

The eVGA one has like 177 reviews and is rated 5 stars. You have to deal with a $15 mail-in-rebate though. If you want, I can like you to the eVGA one also.

EDIT: If you're still interested in the 6800, I could link you to that also.

SO PNY is a good brand.... And is it hard to install... ??

PNY is a good brand? Yes, I believe so and I love my video card. Hard to install? Never heard of that. It was very simple for me. Too simple perhaps, I'm still waiting for something bad to happen :D.

But one person brought up the point that it had problems with older motherboards that had VIA chipsets, thats exactly what your brother has. That might create problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom