Question about processor speed. Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clobbersaurus

Beta member
Hi. I'm a noob here. I have a question, I hope it is not terribly dumb, but I have a friend that is jealous of what I am building and I think he wants to sabotage my machine so he can buid a better one for himself and then brag about it later. He is a jerk. Anyway here is my dilemna.

I am building my first HTPC and I was asking my friend for some advice on components. I wanted to go with a P4 3.4ghz(Socket 778) processor. He told me that I should go with a P4 3.2 with 64bit technology and a 2mb cache. I told him I wanted to go with 3.4ghz minimum. He said that the 3.2 he suggested would be faster because of the cache size and 64bit technology. Who is right here? Would my 3.4 be faster or the 3.2 he suggested? Please advise. Thanks for any help.

3.2 for the satisfaction of 64-bit, seeing as it will dominate 32-bit in future years, and the 2MB cache would be nice.

Sorry to say it, but your friend suggested the better proc.

Thanks for the reply! I was skeptical because he is always trying to outdo me in regards to electronics and computers, and I thought he was purposely holding me back. Thanks again!

No problem, always look toward the future instead of just today. Especially when it comes to computers. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom