a few opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak_smallz

In Runtime
I know someone who just purchased a Radeon X800XL, so he is selling his 9800pro. He told me he would sell it to me for 100 bucks. He said it also has a arctic cooling fan on it already (retails for 30). To me this seems like a good deal, a 9800 pro with a top-line cooling fan, all for 100 bucks.
So do you think this is worth the investment?

My second problem (well not really) is regarding a laptop. I am going to be a HS senior this year, so my parents and i have agreed that around graduation we are going to purchase a laptop. I have already thrown away the possibility of a dell or HP just because of the history of them vs others. I have pretty much found the one i want, and i think it is absolutely the best on the market.
After doing a lil research i discovered the new Acer Ferrari 4005, which goes for around $2100 if you buy from the right place. (link here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115194)
-it looks great
-top of line athlon 64
-gig of ddr400 memory
-writes cds and DVD's
-nice size HD
-bunch of ports
-dedicated X700
-3 hour battery life
-all that stuff for ONLY 6.5 pounds!

***EDIT***: This also had built in bluetooth and wireless internet. Another question i have is how much will leaving bluetooth on for the mouse affect battery life?

So i guess what i am getting at is if you guys see any downside to this laptop? Is there a better choice?

thanks in advance for any input

ok well i got it down to 90 HAHA,

Anyways, any opinion on the laptop, or how much a bluetooth mouse will affect the battery life on a laptop?

If it's running a top of the range Athlon 64, I think the bluetooth will be the least of your battery woes. Unless it is a mobile processor it is designed to be a desktop replacement and not a truely portable notebook. They are designed to run from the mains with occasional battery use. It will keep your lap warm on those cold lonely nights though.

the cool thing about the processor is that it is the new Turion Processor. Correct me if i am wrong, but the processor actually underclocks itself when you are not doing CPU intensive programs, which in turn saves a bunch of battery life.

A lot of processor manufacturers are now looking at ways to cut processor power when not needed, but mobile processors are designed to be more efficient so that the battery doesn't get hammered. I don't know if the turion processor is a mobile or desktop processor. If it is a desktop processor, this feature will help, but it will still eat the battery when DVDing or gaming.

thats what i figured, but normally when im gonna game i probably will be near an outlet, so it souldnt be a problem. All i am hoping is that when i need to get that paper written it doesnt crap out after 2 hours... when i need 3 lol. But thanks anyway.

Also, there is a button on the laptop that turns bluetooth on and off, so i guess what i am asking is about how many minutes would be shaved off the normal battery life by keeping the bluetooth on vs having it off? (Since the mouse is bluetooth this is why i am asking)

Don't get me wrong, I would go for a desktop replacement if I was in your shoes I just thought you were worried about the battery life.
Can't give you any definite figures, but any "extra" devices (including Bluetooth) do consume power. So by turning everything off that you don't need does help.
The laptop I had cycled down the processor AND dimmed the screen when the plug was pulled, so don't be surprised if the screen looks a bit dimmer on battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom