Drive Image and Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiotWtH

Beta member
Today, I tried to take an image of my C:\ containing Windows Vista (Beta 1, Build 5112) with Drive Image 2002. However, just as Drive Image began to create this PQI file, an Error message (Error #4444) appeared, and the process would not continue; the message did not contain any description text.

Does anyone know of a workaround to this problem?? Or, does anyone know for certain whether another version of Drive Image or Ghost (or, for that matter, any other drive imaging software)properly takes an image of a Windows Vista drive??

Thanks.

I don't have vista so I don't know. but have you try booting from the drive image cd and copy the c/ drive from there?

MSDN provides the files in a ISO format you don't need to make them into a ISO.

That said go back and download the ISO from MSDN otherwise don't get Vista via another means.

(I won't say it but you know what I'm leaning at)

Tyler1989 said:

That said go back and download the ISO from MSDN otherwise don't get Vista via another means.

wow.

you really don't have a clue. he don't want a backup disc. he want to back up his OS and porgrams and data in the event of a virus or if the system crashes.

yet you want to accuse him of pirating

I don't have vista so I don't know. but have you try booting from the drive image cd and copy the c/ drive from there?

I did not boot from a Drive Image CD; however, I did boot from a Drive Image diskette, which should be the same thing.

I did download the Vista ISO through MSDN; however, the installation took about 90 minutes to complete. Since I am testing software compatibility with Windows Vista, I want to be able to reload a clean image of Vista on a test computer quickly, without constantly re-installing the operating system.

Any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tyler,

wow is rite, wanting to show everybody how much u r against pirating is one thing but when u start accusing ppl of it for simply asking a tech question that hasnt even implied an act of piracy is pretty rediculous. so either 1 of 2 things happened. u have an incontrollable disorder to try and force ur sense of self superiority over onto ppl or u dont kno the difference between someone asking how to convert a pirated vista copy to iso format and someone who already has it installed and is trying to make an image of that drive. big difference. r u trying to start flame wars. what if i accused u of pirating ur vista copy because u had a question about it?

RiotWtH, it sounds like something's going wrong with your image creator setup....Although this could have something to do with Vista being beta and doing some querky things to the machine. You never know. Personally, I'd use a hardware HDD image creator, but that's just 'cause I have one at work (damn expensive things). One thing you might want to try is hitting up the MS newsgroups to see if anyone else has tried this.

Tyler1989, while I aplaud you for your support against piracy, you need to take the edge off a bit. If you think someone is a pirate, voice yer concerns to a mod and/or report the post. Going all riteous on people is just gonna get you into a flame war. Accusing people, however subtley you do it, is a double-edged sword.

neversleeps, if you've got a beef about someone, PM them or get in touch with a mod. We don't need a flame war in here.

RiotWtH, it sounds like something's going wrong with your image creator setup....Although this could have something to do with Vista being beta and doing some querky things to the machine. You never know. Personally, I'd use a hardware HDD image creator, but that's just 'cause I have one at work (damn expensive things). One thing you might want to try is hitting up the MS newsgroups to see if anyone else has tried this.

Thanks, I will definitely try this. A co-worker earlier suggested that the problem might be that Windows Vista is adding new things into the traditional NTFS, and that Drive Image 2002 is not compatible with these changes.

Here is something else to consider: earlier, I called Symantec technical support to ask them whether the newest versions of the Ghost software supported Vista imaging. Somehow, he had never heard of Windows Longhorn or Windows Vista; nevertheless, he asked me whether Windows Vista was a workstation-type OS (i.e., 98/ME/NT/2000/XP), or a server-type OS (i.e., Windows Server 2003, etc.).

In PC Magazine, I believe I read that the code for Vista is based on Windows Server 2003. Does this mean that Vista will be, as this technical support put it, a "server-type" OS?? Apparently, this is important, because you need to buy Ghost 9.0 to image workstation-type OS's, whereas you need to buy Ghost Enterprise Edition for server-type OS's.

Thanks.

Well that question is double edged itself. It is based mostly on the Server 2003 but it is supposed to be and act like XP. Dont know if that makes sense but that is from what i have heard. Vista is to be the last OS M$ makes that is not server based or so i have heard. Vista is to take place of XP and be a totally user friendly OS, BlackComb and after are all going to be server based and not geared toward the common computer user. All this is speculation of course since we dont knwo what the future holds but as of this point all information is pointing in that direction. I hope that helps a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom