64 BIT...Does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacooler

Baseband Member
I am running an Athlon 2000+ (on nForce1 board) and I am about due for a new build.

I am trying to choose whether I should build a new Athlon 64 3000+ system (on nForce3) or just pick up one of those great dell P4 3.0GHz deals.

Here is what I use my system for:
>Photoshop
>Dreamweaver
>Illustrator
>Multiple FireFox windows spanning across dual 19" LCD's
>Watching TV

Here is my question: Does 64 bit matter for what I am doing. Presuming I have winXP pro 64bit. It seems wise to upgrade with the latest technology right? When will most apps. utilize 64bit procs?

Thanks.

If thats truely what you'll be using it for, and no gaming, the I guess I would have to recommend intel... Just to let you know, there are P4s that support 64-bit, its called EM64.

While it may be true that Intel does outperform AMD in 32 bit desktop application performance, Intel currently lags slightly behind AMD in 64 bit performance.

Yes, I believe that 64 bit matters as I am using a 64 bit OS and love it. I believe it is the future of computing.

That said, get an AMD64 based system. For the moment, they are the best in 64 bit performance.

It will matter in the near future when more and more apps go to 64 bit. It is a bit like the transition we endured from 16 to 32 bit.

It also opens up other issues like greater memory addressing and the like.

TheHeadFL, did you find it painful going over to 64 bit Windows? I've been putting it off because I thought a lot of my older stuff (Scanner etc) wont have 64bit drivers.

Honestly, and this is just my 2 cents, but I'd wait until Windows Vista is released if your thinking of a 64-bit OS for desktop usage.

Since a 64-bit CPU is essentially running in 32-bit emulation with a 32-bit OS, the real current advantage of AMD64 is the on-die memory contoller, as it's not taking full advantage of the 64-bit registers. Most of your 32-bit apps will be able to run in a 64-bit envirmonment.

That's not to say an AMD64/FX isn't worth the $ right now, for gaming purposes it benchmarks better than anything Intel has to offer (coupled with the right video card, system RAM, chipset etc), as far as the desktop lines goes. The X2 (duel-core) line is also well worth the investment if you're not bothered about the lack of true support.

In answer to your question though: Out of choice, I'd go with the AMD64.

CJJohnson said:
TheHeadFL, did you find it painful going over to 64 bit Windows? I've been putting it off because I thought a lot of my older stuff (Scanner etc) wont have 64bit drivers.

Not really, although I've had to forego some of my older hardware or move it to other PCs.

Mainly, everything works. My SB Audigy2, my APC BackUPS 1500VA USB, my nVidia 6600GT, my Logitech joystick, USB microphone, CH pro pedals (for flight sims), and everything else I can think of. Windows XP x64 runs a lot better (in my opinion) than regular Windows XP, and you don't have to worry about all the stupid viruses and trojans and all that garbage that affects 32 bit Windows. 64-bit IE is a dream.

That said, my Samsung printer doesn't work right now. Samsung claims to be working on a driver for release very soon. (ML-1740) Some samsung printers have built in drivers in Windows. Any hardware that had an in-box driver on Windows XP (Windows preinstalled driver) will work on XP x64.

The other thing I had to give up is my old ATI TV Tuner. (Which was a piece of crap anyway) I ended up not even using it anymore and I got an nVidia Personal Cinema based tuner and put it in my other computer.

The big thing that x64 is problematic with right now is Printers and TV Tuners. The Printers thing is coming around though. I hear more and more that drivers start showing up. If you have automatic updates, Windows will find new 64 bit drivers when they become available.

It's like saying, would you have an older computer that can play todays games, or would you rather have a computer than can play todays games and future games, see what I mean?

Looking over prices, the Intel 64bit procs seem very pricey in comparison to AMD's. Price is definitely an issue.

This would obviously lead me towards an AMD solution.

One more thing. Does it seem prudent to wait another month or so as Dual Core is really hitting mainstream high end systems?

With computers, its *always* better to wait a month. And next month, it wil be better to wait a month as well.

There just isn't any good time but the present to buy these things. Its always gonna be obsolete in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom