Building my own computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DFI...ABIT...ASUS are motherboard makers. OCZ makes Ram, as well as Corsair. Not sure what PQI and TwinMOS mean tho...

Uhm, ok, ressurecting old post. Might as well keep this to one topic.

So I finally got around to looking up parts and prices. I started first with the CPU, since I figured out I'd have to base my motherboard purchase on that. I got to looking and noticed that basically all the AMD processors that were listed on the first page of choices were all basically 1GHz slower than the Intel chips. Is this normal, or was NewEgg just giving me an oddly skewed sample?

Second... stupider question, but what's the difference between Pentium 4, Pentium D, and Xeon? Sempron/Athlon?

Third, is there a way to completely disable hyperthreading in the BIOS of chips? I realize this sounds like a very odd question, but I've heard a few questionable things about hyperthreading (no one knows how to code for it, some games don't handle it well, etcetera), and if it's an unproven technology, I'd like the option to disable it.

Which Intel chips have DRM stuff on it already? I know AMD is going to be putting DRM stuff on their chips as well, but on those at least you can disable it.

Does buying a 64 bit capable chip cause any problems at all with 32 bit programs?

'nother stupid question, but how do I know a motherboard will fit inside my case? I don't want to buy all the parts and end up not having a place to put them.

What's FSB? (I kinda get the impression it's the speed at which the chip communicates with other stuff, so I'm going to want to get a chip and motherboard that share the same speed, right? Or am I confused about what FSB is? I'm just going off of vague memories of something I may have read once.)

Well.. I am sure these guys will help you pick out all the parts. I'll just say one thing. If you want to save a little bit money, just go with the AMD 64 3000+, instead of the 3200+. I have the 3000+. A few people who have the 3200+ says that they wouldn't have minded saving the few dollars instead of stepping up. This is a very good "cheap" processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom