W2k3 Sever EE

Status
Not open for further replies.

camhabib

Baseband Member
Have a small problem. I have a computer running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition. I have set up IIS, MySQL, PHP, DNS, everything. The only problem I'm having is this; when I go into IE and try to access "localhost" it says page cannot be found. Same deal for accessing the server via domain or IP from another computer. I get the "page cannot be displayed." It finds the server as when it is off I simply get a "site cannot be found" message. I can't think of what would be causing such an error as to make the server unable to bring its own site up. Any suggestions?

-Cameron

Ping to localhost on server works, no firewalls installed at the moment. Also, typing 127.0.0.1 into IE prompts a Windows password and username window to appear.

the main site in IIS is running port 80 with no SSL port named. What exactly is netstat though?

netstat shows you all connections on your pc as well as which ports are listening for a connection such as port 80 for http access. you would need to run netstat -a -n to see this info.

its funny that typing in 127 address prompted you for a password. Are you able to authenicate? localhost should resolve to this address and this should be done locally on the server via the hosts file; no dns involved. I'm thinking you may have restrictions on who can access this site or something related to iis security.

netstat brought up a TCP 0.0.0.0:80 thatÂ’s listening. There are a few UDP 127.0.0.1 with various ports, not listening though. 127.0.0.1 isn't bringing up the login screen any more. No matter the securities, you should still be able to access localhost from the server. I just went over the IIS settings again and couldnÂ’t find anything out of the ordinary.

Typing localhost into the server returns "The page cannot be displayed" typing the domain into another computer (not on same network) while the server is on gives you "The page cannot be displayed" and typing the domain into another computer while the server is off gives you "Cannot find server".

I'm guessing that all three of these messages are coming from one problem. If they server can't access the site its hosting, I don't expect for any other computer too. I just can't think of what I'm doing wrong to make the server be like this. Are there any settings you can suggest me checking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom