overclocking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven1110

Baseband Member
I have an asus a7v8x-x motherboard with a amd xp 2600 processor. The asus motherboard has fsb speeds of 200/266/333 as possibles. I didn't realize it at the time but with the 2600 processor the motherboard is set to use the 266 fsb. If I had known that with the 2700 I'd get the 333 fsb then I would've went for that.

So here's my question: I heard on some amd's you can change the multipier so if I were to slightly riase the muliplier and overclock my system would I be able to reach that 333 fsb mark? Is there another way of getting to what I want? Or am I completely off with the idea of overclocking?

Thanks is advance.

U should be able to do it .. Since ur already using 333 memeory .. u shouldn't hafta change the memory setting .. Keep a check on the temp.
Just change the FSB on the Bios n' try it first

that means you have your CPU FSB front side bus set incorrectly. your motherboard has it set at 133Mhz which is actually 266Mhz (double pumped by double data rate memory)
====================
current cpu external frequency: 133Mhz
change it to 166Mhz.

change cpu frequency multiplier to: 11.5
====================
those are the recommended value by AMD. you would be running at the rue settings for xp2600. if you want to overclock you can. always know your default so you can change back, 166 & 11.5.

start> run> "dxdiag" will show you your current cpu speed if bios does not show you. use directX version 8 at least. or motherboard monitor can confirm your cpu settings or cpu-z

I don't get it then. Why does my motherboard say that it runs on a 266fsb with the amd 2600 when all you have to do is change the fsb speed in bios to reach the 333? Is 266 just the speed that they recommend running at, therefore making 333 overclocked?

your motherboard is incorrectly detecting your cpu. this is the reason some people need BIOS updates. but if you can fix it easy that i suggest don't flash your BIOS, no point in risking a bad flash that can leave your mobo in worse shape than it was before.

your motherboard will always use a safe value if it does not know what to set your hardware at. some memory are not always detected properly with some motherboards too. why do you think they have a CMOS setup that allow you to change cpu and memory settings in the first place?

ekÆsine .. I'm just curious here .. The Asus A7V8X-X is a fairly new board .. so it shouldn't have a problem detecting the 2600 Cpu .. isn't it ??

So do u think it could just be a dip switch on the mobo or somethin'??

yes you have a good point "preet2u", but also if it was such a new board why would the dip switches be set at a default maximum of 266Mhz. i have a asus board and they use jumpers for this with 2 settings: FSB 400/ 333/ 266 (default) or 200Mhz. i just assumed his board is similair.

I've actually built a couple of systems using that board .. but i can't seem to remember what setting 's it had .. (I'm into the system building business) I'm gonna go have a look at those mobo mans ..if i can get my hand on them :) ..
Or maybe we can get some the mans of asus website .. ?

preet, you said that you've build a couple systems with my asus board? Did you overclock any of those or were they for customers? If you did overclock how much success did you have with it? I haven't tried anything myself yet since I'm still waiting for my new heatsink(old one malfunctioned). I don't want to extremely overclock, I just want to boost it a little. Maybe a .1-.2 jump mhz and 333 fsb. Possible? On the fsb, since I have 333 memory if I increase the fsb anymore than 333 would I have to overclock the memory also?

the setting i gave you were not overclocked. they are the normal setting you should be running at. right now you CPU is underclocked because your motherboard is not detecting your CPU correctly.

CPU and memory operate independant of each other. if you change the frequency of the CPU it does not require changing frequency of memory also. please read:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?threadid=20942

you should try the settings i gave you, you will not damage anything. from specs off of AMD.com it says an xp2600 runs at 333 FSB not 266.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom