Windows2000 vs. 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrjohnson

Baseband Member
I have an old Hitachi Powerbook 775 series, and I just meet the bare requirements to run windows 2000. It runs sort of choppy and stuff, and I'm wondering if I should install 98 instead and if that will give me a difference in performance as far as loading apps and internet windows and such.
---------------------------------------

mouse****1fn.gif

Well if you just barely meet specs then yes installing 98 would benefit you. Just make sure it is 98SE. I doubt you will get any updates for it since 98 is no longer supported by M$ though. I hope that answers your question.

True but that doesnt mean that there is no security issues that have come up since they have stop supporting it. But that is just my pet peeve. Sorry to keep saying it. I just dont like having a system that might be open to attack cause the maker decides not to support it anymore. Blasted M$....

Yeah I know this gets off topic, but I've gone through at least 6 machines including 2 notebooks with wireless internet and have never really updated my windows or used any firewalls/security features etc. Nobody has ever hacked me or screwed anything up. I mean yeah I've had viruses but antivirus programs do sort of good with those.

I use Windows Vista and I'm below the minimum specs check my sig. If you meet the requirements you are fine. Though it doesn't hurt to be over. As much as I hate 2K I suggest you use Windows 2000.

I'm booting windows98se on it right now as i type (other laptop of course). Figured I would just try it out myself and learn from experience. I'll post a reply and let ya know how it worked out for me. I'm just scared programs and such won't be compatible with 98se, because I'm going to need Microsoft Office and such.

It depends on which version of Office you use. I know 2003 wont install on that ol dof a OS. On a side note....I have pretty much learned all i know about computers from crashing and mangling them for over 10 years now. I have taken a few courses and have gotten A+ (Core Hardware and Operating System) Certified along with Net+ Certified. But for as much as i learned form those classes it is still nothing compared to getting down and dirty with the hardware and software to see what really happens.

Yeah well I went with Windows2000 professional. It seems to run everything just as smooth as Windows98SE did. I like 2000 better just because everything is more up to date and more programs and stuff are compatible with it. Have fun finding windows98 drivers! Yeah definately down and dirty is the way to go. Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts, you helped me out alot but nothing as close as just sucking it up and doing it yourself :). Over and out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom