Beta member
Hi

I have recently built a new pc with the following hardware

AMD 64 3200+ Venice Core CPU
MSI K8N SLI/Platinum Mainboard
Asus PCI-E 128mb 6600GT
Geil Dual Channel PC3200 Ultra-X 2x512mb
Western Digital Raptor 10,000rpm 74gb

I have put it all together, it turns on automatically when I insert the power cable into the PSU but this is not my main problem. I seem to be having trouble getting the LED on the monitor to become active, like its stalling at the video card stages.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what the problem is?
All the parts are brand new, i have tried 3 different sticks of ram so im pretty sure thats not the problem by now. Could it be either the video card or perhaps the little SLI card on the motherboard as this looks a little strange to me.

Thanks for any help in advance ( im pretty sure i added all the details :D )

Do you get any beeps when the computer is performing the POST (at startup)? If you do, the number of beeps corresponds to your problem.

i bet u have a psu that came with a case and its garbage. so its probably not getting enought juice

i know that the problem is video simply because the d-bracket that came with the mobo has four led's 2x2 and the lights that show (according the manual) say that its testing video when it stops, how accurate this is, im not sure.

In answer to the psu, with all the money i spent on hardware, there was no way i was goin cheap with power, so i went with a 500W.

The easiest test is remove the video and place it back in again, but you have probably tried this. I have had similar probs due to the card not being 100% seated properly in the slot.

Has the motherboard got onboard graphics?
Is the bios set to look at your card?
Can you get hold of another card to try, or try your video card in someone elses computer?

Does your video card have a seperate power connector (Normally AGP, PCIe got rid of this need for extra power) to connect power straight from the power supply? If so, is it connected?

It's normally a case of elimination.

yea i tried reinstalling the gpu a few times, mobo has no onboard, i cant see the screen to check the bios and the only way i can do the third option is to purchase another card. There is one thing i did remember though, the psu only has a 20-pin atx, the mobo has a 24-pin socket, i actually called up the place i bought my hardware from to ask about that when i got it, he said it should be fine unless u add a second gpu. Im starting to think maybe he's wrong. Only one way to be sure. Time to buy a new psu. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom