Computer won't shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

In Runtime
My computer recently crashed and I replaced the motherboard and processor. Since I have done that my computer won't shut off whenever the phone cord is plugged into it. Someone please help me.

So, wait, you're saying it WILL turn off if the phone cord isn't plugged in? o_O

Regardless, check your jumpers and make sure that the power button was properly attached to the motherboard. I've seen this happen a few times and the solution was as simple as that. If it comes to it, you can always just flip the switch on the back or pull the plug. Those, while not recommended, are both methods that are sure to turn off your computer.

B-rock said:
My computer recently crashed and I replaced the motherboard and processor. Since I have done that my computer won't shut off whenever the phone cord is plugged into it. Someone please help me.

Is the phone cord pluged into the network card ? (if so remove it before you damage the nic)

Yes, it won't turn off when it is hooked up to the phone line, but it will turn off when it is not plugged hooked up to the phone line. I am pretty sure that it is plugged into the modem and not the network card. I guess tomorrow I will make sure that I have plugged in right.

Oh, and for my motherboard and processor I have an AMD 64 3000+ on an Elitegroup K8M800-M2 motherboard.

B-rock said:
Yes, it won't turn off when it is hooked up to the phone line, but it will turn off when it is not plugged hooked up to the phone line. I am pretty sure that it is plugged into the modem and not the network card. I guess tomorrow I will make sure that I have plugged in right.

Call me crazy, but that situation doesn't seem realistically possible. Maybe you've got a bad modem? That's kinda the only thing I can see that's possibly wrong with the situation.

You haven't got some remote settings/power management turned on have you, like shut down over network? Could be waiting for a shutdown command via modem. Also it could be a driver problem. Windows could be "hanging" on a corrupt driver when shutting down. Clutching at straws but it's the only things I can think of.

First of all the little plug that comes on your mb is for an rj-45 or for a network connection. If you are using this there is your problem. it is not a modem even though they look similar. Or do you have a modem on a pci card. if you have a pci card installed and are not sure if it is a modem or a nic and need help finding out which is installed, go to the control panel. then click the system icon. at the top of the window that pops up, click the hardware tab. Then click the device manager and look under network adaptors. since you would only be doing this if there is a pci card installed you should see two devices, your onboard nic and your other card. reply with what it says for the other card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom