EM Windows Installed.. But F'ed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanghoeby

Baseband Member
I just build a new computer and everything was ashured by many that every peice of hardware was installed correctly. I then bought an OEM version of Windows XP. I tryed installing it. I had to restart my computer throughout the entire process, and it took about 50 resarts to get to the point of actually running Windows. Now, the OS works like shit and still freezes at the slightest amount of processing. There is a screen that comes up while loading Windows that says blah blah there is some thing wron with the hardware or software blah blah. Generally the computer won't stop freezing on me. Can some one PLEASE tell me what the hell is going on and how I can fix it.

can you list your hardware for us. possibly you are overheating. after one of these freezes check your processor temp in your bios. try to get a copy of memtest86 and let that run for about 24 hours and see if your memory is ok. there might possibly be a failsafe setting in your bios as well... try that.

good luck!!

AMD 64 3200+
Corsair Valueselect 2x512
Maxtor diamondmax 10 200gb
ABIT ATI X700pro 256mb
ABIT AN8 SLI M/B
Antec 400W power supply.
Pioneer DVD/CD

Can I erase my harddrive through BIOS? If so please inform me how.

I hope you're exagerating when you say "50 restarts." I would have known something wasn't right after the 3rd. A typical Windows installation takes 2 restarts...unless you're loading a controller driver at the same time.

Check your BIOS settings and make sure everything is setup okay. If all is well, run the Windows installer again and have it reformat the drive completely, and try again.

Anyone remember if XP (without service packs) natively supports AMD64 chips? I seem to remember no, but that's information I try not to keep in my gray matter.

wanghoeby said:
AMD 64 3200+
Corsair Valueselect 2x512
Maxtor diamondmax 10 200gb
ABIT ATI X700pro 256mb
ABIT AN8 SLI M/B
Antec 400W power supply.
Pioneer DVD/CD

Can I erase my harddrive through BIOS? If so please inform me how.

use powermax in my sig to test the hardrive first. you can also use it to erase the harddrive.

EricB said:
use powermax in my sig to test the hardrive first. you can also use it to erase the harddrive.

What does that mean? Where is "my sig", and "powermax"?

An update.

It says that it is sorry but windows did not start up because of a change in software or hardware. Then it give a shpeel about how it will start up on the last setup that worked. You have a choice to choose from but since my comp is new there is only one. There is a countdown of 30 sec but I can't hit enter during that time. My processor runs at 42 degrees and once during BIOS it froze on me.

There are two major problems I am having.
1. Random Freezes
2. I need to reload windows, but first I need to erase the old bad version that got installed incorrectly.

Thanks for the help.

wanghoeby said:
What does that mean? Where is "my sig", and "powermax"?

An update.

It says that it is sorry but windows did not start up because of a change in software or hardware. Then it give a shpeel about how it will start up on the last setup that worked. You have a choice to choose from but since my comp is new there is only one. There is a countdown of 30 sec but I can't hit enter during that time. My processor runs at 42 degrees and once during BIOS it froze on me.

There are two major problems I am having.
1. Random Freezes
2. I need to reload windows, but first I need to erase the old bad version that got installed incorrectly.

Thanks for the help.

you obviously have a hardware problem. if you look into my signature, you will see a link to 2 powermax utilities (cd or floppy). you should have powermax, already. it comes with maxtor hard drives.

download one and test your HDD. that will eliminate it from being a problem (use memtest above to check your ram to eliminate that).powermax also has an erase HDD feature that better than wiindows.

Things have changed. All of the sudden Windows started working. Now I just can't get my internet to work. I am using a router with only one other computer (Mac) hooked up to it. I cant seem to get connected. I tryed all different set ups with proxies and LAN settings. Nothing seems to work. In a bit I will try shutting everything down, including route, and then starting again. Any suggestions though?

wanghoeby said:
Things have changed. All of the sudden Windows started working. Now I just can't get my internet to work. I am using a router with only one other computer (Mac) hooked up to it. I cant seem to get connected. I tryed all different set ups with proxies and LAN settings. Nothing seems to work. In a bit I will try shutting everything down, including route, and then starting again. Any suggestions though?
Yeah, you might want to move this question over to the networking forum, since that's where it's gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom