Okay here are my plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh noob

Solid State Member
Sorry, but my other topic wouldn't work for this. Sorry if its considered a double post.

I need a computer that is going to be able to:

1. Play games like Half-Life 2 and Battlefield 2 how they were meant to be played, at the highest settings.

2. Still be able to do simple tasks like word processing for school.

3. And look really cool, if I do build one from scratch I was thinking this one, because it looks awesome and has had some good feedback.

And the biggest thing is that I don't have much to spend...at all. Its hard to estimate a budget, basically as little as possible.

Nice case. For a low-budget system, I recommend the following;

GIGABYTE GA-K8NSC-939 Socket 939 nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard $76.00
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice. $146.
1 GB DDR PC3200 Value Memory (Anything less won't play HL2 and BF2) $82.
80GB SATA Hard Drive $52.
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro AGP Video Card $136.

All prices and components are from Newegg.com.

Also note, that these are the minimum you need to run BF2 and HL2. I chose these because you're on a budget. There are much better components to run the games. Also, I assume you have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. already chosen?

Could you give us an estimate of how much you can spend?

I have read both your posts and saying as I don't live in U.S.A I may not be 100% right on this but so far as I can see you want a fantastic gaming machine right?- now whilst you don't want to break the bank I feel your budget may be too low especially considering that the machine you posted about in the other topic seems to have components which are already out of date.

1. I think you might have to increase budget or
2. be content with playing games on less than optimal settings or
3. leave plans a while and save some more or
4. you can salvage some components from an older machine to reduce costs

To spend too little money is to do a job half right my friend. You may be able to play latest games now but for how long into future?

Better to go with AMD btw and as cost is a factor- no question self build is best

Good luck

thebrettman said:
1. I think you might have to increase budget

Indeed. If you don't have, atleast, $500 for this, then you can forget about high-demanding games, atleast for now.

Listen, i'm sorry if i'm going to come off too negative here, but honestly if you wanna play those type games, "the way they were ment to be played at their highest resolutions" well sorry but your outta luck with no cash to build with.

The simple fact of it is that, good gaming systems that you are wanting don't come cheap. You budget just isn't at all in anyway going to get you what "i think" you're looking for.

Sure, you could build a $600 PC, but if you want to play those types of hardware intensive games, you budget would need to be at least $1500 - $2000.

Save you pennies kid, one day you'll build a monster...

thebrettman said:
His budget is $580 but that includes peripherals and screen.

No way. There is no way you're going to be able to build a system that can play BF2 and HL2 for that much. If you want a LCD monitor, that alone costs $200.

I have just looked at a currency converter as I am more used to euros than dallars- $580 does not buy even a basic gaming machine. Double that would buy you what you want man. Sorry but you will have to stretch that budget.

Let me give you an idea of what a good gaming system looks like (and costs like). This is all from my opinion.

Motherboard - ASUS A8n-SLi Premium Socket 939 nForce 4 SLi ATX motherboard. $172.
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 FX55 San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor $811.
Memory - OCZ Peroformance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM. $240.
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3400832AS 400GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive. $263.
Video Card - eVGA Geforce 6800Ultra 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card. $445.
17" LCD monitor - ~$250.
Total = $2181.

And for all that, you'd need a huge Power Supply. Not to mention the cooling it would require...

Oh, too bad. My birthday has already come and gone. Maybe if I keep planning out what I intend to build with and just ask for money this christmas, I can scrape enough together to build myself a gaming machine. Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll just have to play the latest games on the low settings for now, and try to imagine what they would look like played on a properly equipped computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom