Newbie in need of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightwish

Solid State Member
I am currently using an AMD Duron 750mhz processor. Yeah it's bad I know. I bought the PC 3 years ago and have upgraded the RAM and graphics card but have questions on upgraded the processor. I would like to uprgrade it to a faster processor but I dont know what processor would be compatible with my motherboard. I dont know exactly what motherboard im using but I opened the PC and it says VIA VT82C686A. What processor would be compatlable with that motherboard? Do i need a completely new motherboard? If so what should I use? Im not looking for anything fancy just decent. Would I be able to insall a new processor and or motherboard myself, or would i need it to be professionaly installed?
Thanks in advance.

Also note that im not very computer literate. I just know the bare basics. I have searched for other related topics but found little help.

you should be able to locate the Mobo Model in the original Documentation of your computer.

a mobo that has a Duron in it should take most other duron chips

but it will not take other chips because they have a different socket type

if you can get the Mobo Model you can check the Manufacturer for the max possible speed of your mobo

!!Remember WATCH YOUR TEMP!!

So lets say I buy a 1ghz Duron processor would i be able to use it on my mobo? I cant find any info on what the max speed my mobo can handel. All i found out was that it uses the VIA KT133 chipset. I tried using the motherboard ID tools on motherboards.org to help me find out the manufacurer but It ended up with "unknown".

do you know if it's a slot style (as in, a long processor that looks somewhat like an old style video game cartridge) or a socket style processor (as in the fan and heatsink account for most of what you see rising up from the motherboard). if it's slot style I think you might have some problems. I've been out of the loop for a couple of years now, but I think all the newer processors are socket style.

at any rate, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the duron would use either a 'Slot A' or a 'Socket A' motherboard, same as the Athlon. if this is the case, you would be able to upgrade to an Athlon processor, which is far superior to Duron.

but I could easily be wrong about all of this, so don't take my word until someone else confirms it.

now to the issue of instalation. if I was in the position to be held liable if you went and fried your board/processor, burned down you house in a ridiculous display of noobism, or put your eye out on the corner of the mainbaord, I would say that you should probably have a pro do it. likewise, if I was in the position to make money on the instalation, again I would tell you to have a pro do it, and give you my card. I am, however, in neither of these positions. in all honesty, it's pretty easy to install hardware, be it mainboard processor or ram. if you can assemble a snap-together model, if you can if you can transform the easiest of the Transformer toys (think Bumblebee), if you can wipe your butt without the aid of a mirror, the the only think that will acount for failure in putting together the modular components of a computer is intimidation at the prospect of it. that and an inability to ask questions when you aren't sure about something.

in a sentence I can sum up 90 percent of what you need to know: if it doesn't fit, then it probably doesn't go there.

beyond that, and anti-static strap is a good idea (this is really more about insuring the expensive components you bought. in all honesty, you could probably build a pc in a balloon testing lab without any trouble), make sure the components your buy are compatable, the red stripe on ide cable stays on the outer edge, and make sure everything is firmly seated.

but if yours is a major name brand computer, then all bets are off, cause they tend to be proprietary as hell.

You're right, a Duron is a "Socket A" processor, meaning you should be able to upgrade to an Athlon XP or similar, but the motherboard may have restrictions on how high you can go. Although even if you only end up with a 1GHZ Duron, if you have a decent video card and a lot of ram you will still be able to play all games.

Ya should just be able to refer to your user guide on that Mobo & it should tell ya how much it can handle as far as CPU speed, FSB speed etc...

Thanks for the input guys. One last question though. If i get that 1ghz processor will i need a new heat heatsink and fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom