Which Ram Is Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverstone

Baseband Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have 2 x 512mb of Crucial 184dimm PC3200 and I want another Gig, now do I have to get the same speed (3200) and having just 2 slots left in my Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard I would like (if I can find) a gig stick rather than 2 x 512mb to make up my 2gig....is this possible? as in the future another gig would be nice, thanks for your time, James

I reread your post a few times and am not completely sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot.

No matter what you do, your motherboard will downclock all of the ram to the slowest sticks.

You CAN upgrade adding 2x512 sticks of PC 3200.

You CAN upgrade adding 1 stick of 1GB ram, but it will not work in dual channel, if you have that option.

Assuming you do have dual channel, you can later add another of the same stick in and run a total of 3 gigs, and all sticks will be running in dual channel.

Ryan

thanks for your fast reply m8, right i need to get same speed that i understand..ok, but not sure about dual channel?? dont know what that is...can the ram be a different make? is dual channel better then? im lost now lol my motherboard is as stated in first post (basically i want 2 gig of ram, shall i buy 2 x 512 or 1 x gig) James

Dual channel doubbles memory bandwidth, and your board supports it.

Just throw in any 2 x 512 meg sticks into the board and it SHOULD run in dual channel

right so it would be better for me to get 2 x 512 meaning all 4 slots are used up, so i cant add anymore in future? sorry about my dumb ass questins guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom