Cannot delete file, in use by another person or program..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MvD

Baseband Member
I downloaded a program of sourceforge, except I dowloded by using the 'Save As' dialog in firefox. All it downloaded 18.9 KB file that i now cannot delete. I tried turning as many programs as possible, renaming the file, scanning it with norton, rebotting in safe mode. Still no luck

I am no WinXPsp2 with hacked theme engine dll. I've got everything setup just like I want it to be and I really don't feel like reformatingg. Anyone know of any applications that will allow you to see by which application a particular file is being used?

You can go into your task manager and try and find the process that's using it and end it, but it's much easier to just:

start in safe mode, then delete it.

If you enter the >safe mode> (F8 at boot) you can delete the file there. If you simply saved the executable file to disk it doesn't make any sense that the file would not be deleteable.??????

I know this is redudndant, but some still don't know how to enter safe mode, if you are one of those then I helped, if not just ignore me!!! :)

also try going to Start > Run..

type in "msconfig" into the field and hit Enter

select the "Startup" tab, and look over the listed files and uncheck any file associated with that program.. > Reboot

then try to delete the file(s)

Like I said, I already went into safemode (I still can't delete the file) and I know what processes startup when windows boots. There is no spyware on box, the registry is clean and I highly doubt this is a virus.

This getting really wierd though, I booted into my linux installation (I dual-boot) and the file simply does not exist. This is crazy, how am I supposed to get rid of it? I've hidden it to not spoil the look of the "My Documents" folder but I don't like random files polluting my directories.

When I try to load the file it says something about 16-bit applications.

Wait! Now the file is gone, wtf??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom