lost 25Gb, where is all the space at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't laughing at your 40GB, far from it, I'm a firm believer in making do with what you've got if it does what you want. I was only trying to establish if the size of your drive was your problem, sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

Did you try scandisk?

C:\documents and settings\{your user name}\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5

C:\documents and settings\{your user name}\local settings\temp\

C:\Windows\Temp\

C:\Windows\Prefetch\

or there's even

A:\>fdisk.exe (delete the partition, and format)

Try getting a hold of Treesize pro, handy utility which shows you a tree view of the size of all folders and files on your disk. Even shows you a nice little pie chart too :) Very easy to use.

I imagine there's other utils which do the same thing but I get on nicely with Treesize pro. There's free trial versions of it out there too.

Nevermind. I used CleanUp! and i got 8 gb back! Holy crap i was in amazement. Thanks to who had reffered it to me and everyone else trying to help me out.

Manhuntkotor why won't you just do a search result for files or folder with atleast 50mb or 100mb, there you can find the files that is hogging all the space. There are free program out there that clean unwanted data from your computer; try those and clean your computer every week.

Reformating should always be a last resort.

My friend had a 40gb drive that had seen better days, it would only give you just under 7gb after formatting it. GET A NEW DRIVE!

get a new hard drive. u can get like 160gb for 50 if u look hard enough. plus once half is full it starts slowing things down.

To all who suggest a larger drive ignore them because 40gb is plenty for what you need. I have 60gb which is more than enough for my xp system which I use for games primarily.

As was suggested before reformatting should sort out your problem but also disk cleanup was a good idea. As well you should defragment regularly too.

Refromatting is good because it gives you a fresh start and will often speed up your machine. Just backup your important data first of course

You need to try scandisk, checkdisk, Error checking in win XP before you do anything. It is not worth reformatting if your Hard disk getting smaller due to increasing bad sectors. Even if you format it back to what it was, the chances are it will start failing again, maybe fail totally and you'll lose everything.

Right click on your drive letter in mycomputer, select properties and select the tools tab. Check both boxes and set it away. At least it shouldn't take long on 40GB.

If you can't afford a new HDD then fair enough. Here, a game costs £30, an 80GB Hard disk costs £30. Depends on your priorities. just remember that the HDD is one of the major components of your computer, and the one which normally causes most problems. Depending upon the age of your old HDD you may even find a speed increase with a new drive, if your motherboard supports ATA133.

All I am saying is 40GB is a bit of a tight squeeze for XP and games. With game installs coming in at 4GB for a full install, that could be 10 - 12GB with 3 games installed.

yeah for god sake Manhuntkotor just finished sayin to stop *****in about the hdd size and saying to get a new one and we get suggestions of getting a new one. 40gb is more than adequate unless your a gaming nut or piracy fiend. i mean with 40gb you have enough for a few games plenty of programs craploads of photos and music and should still have enough room to burn dvd's and so on. what does everyone use all their space for or is it just status? p.s. if you have a good reason for lots of space fair enough
p.p.s don't talk about piracy or criminal acts on a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom