Help Please With todays Problem of the Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gate9

Baseband Member
Installed XP Home. I think. Partitioned by choosing NTSF. Now my screen is locked at "identifying DMI Pool Data" There is a lot to be said for just buying a piece of garbage computer for Best Buy. Usually works right out of the box. So tired of trouble shooting this build.

CASE TT| XASERV WINGO V8000A SL RTL
MB DFI|NF4 LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR
VGA EVGA|GF 7800GTX 256-P2-N528-AX
POWER SP|TWV500W W0057 RTL
CPU AMD 64 |4000+ ATHLON 64 939P RT
OCZ 512M DDR 400 OCZ400512V25 R
FD 1.44MB|SAMSUG SFD321B/LBL1
HD 80GB|SEAGATE ST380011A 7200
WRLSS-G PCI ADAPTER|LINKSYS WMP54G

you said: " There is a lot to be said for just buying a piece of garbage computer for Best Buy.", i'm not really sure what you meant there.. you mean you bought a piece of garbage computer FROM best buy?

When you buy one from best buy, you already have OS preloaded, if you want to install, try to call the manufacture and request a recovery CD :D

No, I didn't buy from Best Buy. I was just whining because I have been working on getting my PC built, put together and now operating for weeks. First Time building and I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. Just annoying little things, like researching all evening to solve a problem when all that was the matter was the keyboard, needed a pin connection not a USB. Now I can't get the system loaded after installing the XP operating system. I know I am just too dumb to recognize something that is all too obvious to someone that has experience.

When its stuck at that point I think it is after POST but before NTLDR grabs control. What are your boot devices set to? In what order rather.

Sounds like a user error to me. I get them built, installed, and configured in under 2hrs. BTW, Its NTFS (New Technology File System)

Did XP home even install sucessfully? did it ever boot properly? i want to help you out but i don't have enough information on where it went wrong.

try this:

Make sure your jumpers settings are correct
Check the Boot Priority
Clear the CMOS
Trial and error disconnection and reconnection of devices (cdroms, sound cards, etc)

Also it looks like most of your hardware is very new. Check to see if you require a new version of a bios. **(this is the absolute last thing you try and do, only do this after all other ideas have been exhausted)*

Win2kpatcher said:
When its stuck at that point I think it is after POST but before NTLDR grabs control. What are your boot devices set to? In what order rather.

Pretty sure you are exactly right there. Maybe he can boot to a recovery CD and try FIXMBR, and FIXBOOT

Thank You. For your advise, assistance, knowledge and experiences. Your replies were quite helpfull for academic reasons in that I have been learning alot. However, Shawn was kinda right when he said, "user error". I had broken a pin on the hard drive during installation. Too slow to install I would guess. Anyway, as my logo so bolding indicates, virgin techie. I made a newbie mistake and broke a pin. Sorry to waste your time when the problem was just mechanical. Sometimes thinking about the problem too much isn't good, when it is really something simple, but in my case an expensive lesson.

gate9 said:
Thank You. For your advise, assistance, knowledge and experiences. Your replies were quite helpfull for academic reasons in that I have been learning alot. However, Shawn was kinda right when he said, "user error". I had broken a pin on the hard drive during installation. Too slow to install I would guess. Anyway, as my logo so bolding indicates, virgin techie. I made a newbie mistake and broke a pin. Sorry to waste your time when the problem was just mechanical. Sometimes thinking about the problem too much isn't good, when it is really something simple, but in my case an expensive lesson.

Theres only one way to learn, that's by doing. You learned the hard way this time, but I can bet you won't make that mistake again!

Glad we could try and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom