Baseband Member
hey yall.
i dont know sheeit bout computers
so i want 2 know wat is a betta
processor for light gaming.
my choice is either a
AMD athlon 2500+ XP Barton
or an
Intel celeron 2.8Ghz S478 400Mhz FSB 128K.

Eternal debate. Id go with athlon. Personal preference is ALL that comes into play here no matter what anyone says. Theyre both fine chips.

celeryon is a low end processor designed as a low cost alternative to the pentium line. the athlon is a processor designed to compete head to head with the pentium line (in my opinion it beats the pentiums in all but a few aplications). the reason the prices of intels low end chip and amds flagship chip are so comparable is mainly because intel can charge more because of name recognition. also, they need to spend more to maintain their top-notch tech support staff ;)

let me put it this way ('=' means 'on par with', not 'same as'):

athlon xp=pentuim 4 (or five, if they're up to that by now)
celeron=duron=previous generation or two of pentium

amd xp would be way to go for a budget build. a celly has 4 times lower cache crappier design and fsb is almo tsame as xp chips. Amd would be best bet for performance. But intel p4 for high end builds

You're better off getting the Athlon XP 2500+. The core frequency of the Celeron may be higher, but its FSB falls woefully short of that of the P4 (2.8 GHz models with FSBs at 533 and 800 MHz, as well as the "OEM" 400 MHz model, but with improved architecture), and its limited cache and poor floating point performance (especially in games/apps without SSE2 support) really kill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom