broken hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamDay

Beta member
hi all, this is my first post.
a while ago my motherboard died and so i reverted to and old computer and bought a couple of these removable hard disk cases off ebay so that i could use my old hard disks. unfortunately i connected the wrong power lead to the wrong case (twice) and appear to have broken two hard drives (d'oh!). i assume, however that the data on these disks is still intact and i really want to get it back because it is largely music that i recorded myself (painstakingly) and it will be a lot of work to re-record it all. does any1 know how to do this? i am not sure i want to take it to a shop because of the volume of music on the drive (for which i may not have proof of copyright).

thanks all

Adam

Have you blown the drives or the caddies?

Have you tried connecting the drives straight onto you computers IDE and power cables (Switch off first and don't forget to set as master/slave). Do they spin up or are they completely dead?

If they are completely dead then I think you have just learned a valuable lesson about backing up data. I am not even sure that data recovery on a dead drive is possible within most peoples budget. Normal data recovery is used on a drive that works but has become corrupted in some way, or even formatted.

think its dead

i cant use internal IDE as the old computer i'm using only has one lead from the internal power source and one IDE port. however i did try using a external USB case that i knew worked and it proved that the drive is nonfunctional. it seems like a big waste that there is no way of accessing the data.
thanks for the swift reply

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom