Ok, new computer setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the deceived

In Runtime
Right, after all of your help on here, I have taken it all into account and I've gone for this setup (which should cost me around £1300/$2300):

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ Socket 939 512KB
Motherboard: DFI nForce4 Ultra-D
Memory: G.Skill 1GB DDR FF PC4800 (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit
Hard Disk Drive: Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6L300SO SATA 16MB Cache
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256Mb
PSU: Q-Tec 550W Dual Fan Gold PFC ATX
Screen: Viewsonic VX924 19" LCD TFT
DVD RW: NEC ND-3520A Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5" FDD
Case: Extreme Gaming Spider Case
Mouse: Logitek MX510
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse

I think that's about the final version of my PC, so feedback about it would be extremely appreciated! Thanks again for all your help!

Assuming the computer is for gaming (the case kinda gives it away) you will want a smaller HDD. The larger the HDD the longer it will take to access files during gameplay. If you are intent on the 300gb and money is no object you may want to consider shopping around for a 10,000rpm HDD.

the HDD won't impact on performance much unless it's fragmented. a 200GB drive will usually give the same output as a 40Gb drive, if they are the same brand and basic type (eg Seagate IDE 2MB cache)

if you're really worried about losing hard drive speed, you can always get a WD Raptor aswell to load Windows, and your main games from.

actual game performance is not measured from HDD's though. a faster hard drive means faster loading times, but it won't affect your fps. all a hard drive needs to do is load the game data (and maybe some OS and/or DirectX data) into RAM so you can play it.

although I would try and get a better brand than Maxtor.
Seagate and WD make the best drives so far. I personally prefer seagate, although WD's Raptor is nice.

and I agree with Sprooty, if you can, go for the 7800 GTX.

Yeah, that's ideally what I want but I can't afford it at the moment. Well I'm hoping to sell my current graphics card and get a better one, but I don't think I can raise enough money to get the 7800. Do you guys klnow of any websites that are selling it reasonably cheaply?

Thanks very much!

in australia i can get a 7800 for the same price as a 6800GT, weird have a look around you should fine one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom