ATI quietly launches the Radeon X800 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
The 9700Pro is the best example of this, being is made the transition to 256bit memory. The first nvidia card to do so was the 6800GT.

I think you a little off. The 5900 series was the first nvida card to have a 256-bit memory interface a good while before the 6800GT. You are correct in saying the 9700 had 256-bit before any other card.

gaara said:
Um, the x800XT was meant to be the ATI counterpart of the 6800GT, with the pro being comparable to the vanilla 6800. ATI has always followed this naming scheme, and has always released the pro cards first, followed by the XTs at a later date.
"The more you know" ;)

No, thats not true gaara. The X800XT was competition to the 6800 Ultra ($500 range in 2004), the X800Pro vs. the 6800GT ($400 range in 2004), and the 6800 vanilla in the $300 range as a lower cost alternative to the high end cards and it still laid waste to the 9800 Pro. Please know your facts before you post, gaara.

beedubaya said:
The X800XT was competition to the 6800 Ultra ($500 range in 2004), the X800Pro vs. the 6800GT ($400 range in 2004), and the 6800 vanilla in the $300 range as a lower cost alternative to the high end cards and it still laid waste to the 9800 Pro. Please know your facts before you post, gaara.

That sound correct to me because late 2004 is when I bought my video card. I had a hard time choosing between the 6800 Ultra and the x800 XT. those was both around $500. Those was the 2 cards I was considering. I finally decided on the 6800 ULTRA.

No, thats not true gaara. The X800XT was competition to the 6800 Ultra ($500 range in 2004), the X800Pro vs. the 6800GT ($400 range in 2004), and the 6800 vanilla in the $300 range as a lower cost alternative to the high end cards and it still laid waste to the 9800 Pro. Please know your facts before you post, gaara.
The Pro line of cards has always been the lower end of scale next to ATIs SE cards. The x800XT PE was the ATI counterpart to the 6800 Ultra, with the "vanilla" XT card competeting with the GT variable of the 6800 line. Look at their current marketing, the x900 Pro with 24 pipelines is the vanilla version of higher 32 pipeline XT cores, with PE having a slightly higher clock speed. Thanks for the tip but I'm already ahead of it mate

gaara said:
The Pro line of cards has always been the lower end of scale next to ATIs SE cards. The x800XT PE was the ATI counterpart to the 6800 Ultra, with the "vanilla" XT card competeting with the GT variable of the 6800 line. Look at their current marketing, the x900 Pro with 24 pipelines is the vanilla version of higher 32 pipeline XT cores, with PE having a slightly higher clock speed. Thanks for the tip but I'm already ahead of it mate

The X800XT PE was competition to the 6800 Ultra EE (Extreme Edition), which was slightly higher clocked. X800XT was against the 6800 Ultra.

Wether you laugh at ATI or not, if it wasn't for them do you really think Nvidia would bother to constantly bring out faster cards one after another? If there were no competition I bet we would still be stuck with a 6600 at $400.
I would like to see ATI nibling at Nvidias heels for a long time to come.
There is one certain thing in life, buy a video card and at lest 2 better ones come along within a month, I just can't afford to feed my VGA addiction anymore. There, I've admitted it, I have a problem.

I agree with CJJohnson. competition is good.
if there wasn't competition, the video cards and CPU's would develop about as fast as Creative's sound cards (which is not very)
in the last 5 years, hardware had started out to be competitive, then it started to really pick up especially in CPU's and video cards.

one of the first video cards to be considered a "high performance" 3D card was Nvidia's TNT/TNT2 (or TwiN Texturiser)
I think they were the first cards to have multi pipelines.
after Nvidia made their Geforce video cards, up to about the Geforce 2 series I think, there was a third video card company called 3DFX with their Voodoo cards. ATI was also in their early Radeon series cards. the Geforce 4 Ti cards really gave ATI and 3DFX a run for their money. 3DFX went out of the game, however ATI made their 9000 series cards. in that series, ATI was really shining. Nvidia had to rush out their Geforce FX cards (5000 series) and, ATI always had the lead in that series. now, Nvidia currently has the lead.

and when AMD made their Thunderbirds and Durons, the competition between AMD and Intel really started.
Intel at first were really outselling AMD, however that slowly changed after AMD released teir Athlon's (against later Pentium 3's), and especially Athlon XP's (against early to mid Pentium 4's, up to 3200+/3.2GHZ)
now, AMD has been really competitive with their Athlon 64's. a lot of people say that Intel is struggling against AMD.

*edit*
apparently there's also an X550 now. yet another card that will get low sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom