ATI quietly launches the Radeon X800 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, im sure theres some ATI fanboy working up close with nvidia, then reporting the days work back to ATI HQ :) Ati are always 1 step behind :D

X800 GT...hell, 8 vertex pipes? People are moving on past the 6600 cards anyway, now that the 6800s are dropping in price. Also, i think this is a gambit...sort of. The X800 series is known to be ATIs high end series. The 6800 is Nvidias. The X700 is ATIs midrange, the 6600 is the Nvidia midrange. By releasing a card with the X800 designation, but the same level of power as a X700/6600 card is actually a fairly clever act. People might see the X800 name and think "well, its called X800, it must be better than the 6600"

Actually, the X600 series was originally meant to be the midrange from ATI this generation, however, almost identical to the 6800 GT vs. X800 Pro massacre, the X600XT was slaughtered by the 6600 GT. Therefore ATI rushed out a X700, which is basically the same darn thing is this X800GT.

dhw200 said:
People might see the X800 name and think "well, its called X800, it must be better than the 6600"

You know I bet you right. Most people just go to a store and ask the person there who also dont know what he doing. In the end you get 2 people who dont know what they doing taking a guess at what card is better. The x800GT at a low cost going to look pretty good to those type of people.

of corse these are the same people that buy radeon 9200 "gaming edition" cards and think that it good for gaming.

Actually, the X600 series was originally meant to be the midrange from ATI this generation

are you sure about that? All a x600 is was a pci-e version of a 9600 clocked a little higer. I find it hard to believe that they thought it would compete with a next generation midrange card like the 6600.

beedubaya said:
Or the 6200 512MB edition HAHA :p

LOL I have a funny story about that.

Some one over heard me telling someone I had a 256mb geforce 6800ULTRA. He goes up to me and tell me that nothing I have a even better card then that it has 512mb and I paid alot less then those 6800 cost. I ask him what he got he tell me a 6200 with 512mb double the memory you got for less then half the cost of your 256mb card.

The only thing I could manage to do was fall on the ground because I was laughing so hard.

Heh, thats pretty sleezey.
mgoldb2 said:
You know I bet you right. Most people just go to a store and ask the person there who also dont know what he doing. In the end you get 2 people who dont know what they doing taking a guess at what card is better. The x800GT at a low cost going to look pretty good to those type of people.

of corse these are the same people that buy radeon 9200 "gaming edition" cards and think that it good for gaming.

are you sure about that? All a x600 is was a pci-e version of a 9600 clocked a little higer. I find it hard to believe that they thought it would compete with a next generation midrange card like the 6600.

ya often times, that is very true.

to be fair, the X850 PL does match up to the 6800GTs easly but its still expensive as hell (normally) and for the price, plus $20 you can get a 7800GTX. the only reason I got my X850 PL is because it was $350! The X850 seems to be the second best card you can get, second to the 7800GTX, from most stats I have seen.

everyone says, go by your expeirence. my expeirence is that 9***s are better then 5***s and such is the case, but aparently not for the newer cards. I read Maximum PC and they gave the X800s the edge at first because they are about the practical side of things as well and the X800s at the time didnt take up 2 pci slots, while the 6800s did.

mgoldb2 said:
LOL I have a funny story about that.

Some one over heard me telling someone I had a 256mb geforce 6800ULTRA. He goes up to me and tell me that nothing I have a even better card then that it has 512mb and I paid alot less then those 6800 cost. I ask him what he got he tell me a 6200 with 512mb double the memory you got for less then half the cost of your 256mb card.

The only thing I could manage to do was fall on the ground because I was laughing so hard.
now they have a 6800 with 512 but i hear it is more the a 7800GTX and doenst proform as well. Infact, I hear it proforms barley better then the 6800 with 256mb. also there is a Safire X800 512mb but that is still just a midrange card.

jaross said:
now they have a 6800 with 512 but i hear it is more the a 7800GTX and doenst proform as well. Infact, I hear it proforms barley better then the 6800 with 256mb. also there is a Safire X800 512mb but that is still just a midrange card.

I been told the 7800 Ultra will be 512mb when it comes out. If that true it would be the first card I would even consider buying that had 512mb.

Wow a decent talk about video cards. Anyways, The line up is very wierd and ATI is wasting their time trying to outdo the 6600Gt cause ppl already have them. The 7800GTX is the high range card now and ATI cant compete w/ it. The 6800ultra is supposed to be w/ the X850XT PE and the 6800GT is compared to the X800XL? Sounds wierd to me. W/e

Um, the x800XT was meant to be the ATI counterpart of the 6800GT, with the pro being comparable to the vanilla 6800. ATI has always followed this naming scheme, and has always released the pro cards first, followed by the XTs at a later date.

The x800XL was the x800XT core built on the cheaper 110nm process size. ATI had to sacrifice some clock speed for this but the price was drastically lower than other comparable cards at the time.

Some people really don't give ATI enough credit, they were able to keep the heat/power consumption on their cards down and avoided multi slot cards. They are also the ones trying out newer technologies before nVidia which is why their cards are often delayed. The 9700Pro is the best example of this, being is made the transition to 256bit memory. The first nvidia card to do so was the 6800GT.

"The more you know" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom