Thermal Paste application

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEagle20

Baseband Member
Ok I understand that the paste goes in between the processor (Small triscuit sized metal thing with lots of pins on it) and the processor fan and heatsink (heavy assed fan that came with my triscuit). All fine and dandy, except that the bottom of my processor fan came with this gray substance in a small square on the bottom of it. Should that be REMOVED before I put the thermal paste on or should I not bother with the thermal paste?

If you have a separate thing of thermal paste, then yes, remove that previous stuff.

Have a look here for all your thermal paste instruction needs:D

What is it that already comes on the bottom of the heatsink.. and is it completely useless?

You do not require thermal paste. That little block on the bottom of the stock HSF(the thing that goes over the triscut) is thermal tape. Just snap the heatsink and fan in place, and it will work.

Also I am guessing that you have a Pentium 4 Prescott Socket 478....

AEagle20 said:
AMD 3200+ Venice core socket 939

I have the exact same thing. I was installing it just last night, lol. Some of that gray stuff got on my hands...I'm worried it might not absorb heat as well.

yeah me too, never touched a component in my life. Bust out my triscuit and touch the gray stuff.. left a mini print on it. For ID purposes =). I just read that without the right cooling you can damage your processor in like 10 seconds. I dont want that to happen.

Oh, I did not know AMD put thermal tape on their stock HSF's. But anyways the stuff works & the stuff gets the job done.

AEagle20 said:
yeah me too, never touched a component in my life. Bust out my triscuit and touch the gray stuff.. left a mini print on it. For ID purposes =). I just read that without the right cooling you can damage your processor in like 10 seconds. I dont want that to happen.

Lol, me either. This was the first piece of PC hardware I'd touched without supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom