MS Word Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what I say.....reinstall, it might save ya the time triying to fix that problem. Take it right off the HD and reinstall.

********from the ms kB -

This article was previously published under Q290947

For a Microsoft Word 97 version of this article, see 93650.
For a Microsoft Word 2000 version of this article, see 211625.

SYMPTOMS
When you view a Microsoft Word document, one or more of the following behaviors may occur:
Menus and toolbars disappear.
The screen appears blank, and the desktop is not visible.
A small toolbar, consisting of one button, is visible.
When you press the ESC key, Repeat Value:8 is displayed on the Word status bar.
CAUSE
This behavior occurs if you are in full-screen view. Users who are accustomed to WordPerfect frequently work in this view. This view is useful if you want to see as much of the document as possible while you are working in it. If you do not see any portion of your document, you may be in full screen view with no document open.
RESOLUTION
To return to your normal screen, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Press ESC
If you are not using WordPerfect keys or WordPerfect Help, press the ESC key.

NOTE: If you see Repeat Value:8 at the bottom of your screen when you press the ESC key, you have WordPerfect navigation keys turned on. To turn off WordPerfect navigation keys or WordPerfect Help, follow these steps:
Press ALT+H to display the Help menu.
Click the WordPerfect Help command.
In the Help for WordPerfect Users dialog box, click Options.
Click to clear the Help for WordPerfect Users and Navigation Keys for WordPerfect Users check boxes, click OK, and then click Close.
You can now quit full-screen mode by pressing ESC.
Method 2: Turn Off Full Screen Mode

If a document is open, do either of the following:
Press ALT+V to bring up the View menu, and then press the U key to turn off full-screen view.

-or-
If the Full Screen toolbar is visible, click Close Full Screen.
If a document is not open, follow these steps:
Press CTRL+N to start a new document.
Press ALT+V to activate the View menu, and then press U to turn off full-screen view.

however, there was another fix... if these dont work fo you, let me know and ill look for the others.s.s.

Inaris:

First:

Outlook chg'd. What is the advantage of not using Word other than this case where it is messed up? Thx!!

Second:

I am not an administrator (grrrr)

-MS Word 2000 SR-1 Professional-

Run is disabled/does not show up.

Through the control panel I accessed the install/remove progs and clicked the help and subsequently the <repair> button.

Here's the error message:

"The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

When I clicked <ok> on the error message, the add/remove programs window and the support info window went white blank and the HD or probably the fan started spinning faster (normal as it has done this in the past for no apparent reason) Upon checking task mgr, the program was not responding and I killed it.

Do I need an MS Word install disk?

Gruntwerk:

Pressing <esc> does absolutely nothing.

Pressing <alt+v> does nothing.

Pressing <alt+h> does nothing.

Reminder...there is no pull down menus at all.

Thank you Gruntwerk!

BTW...I'm leaving now...will be back at work at 0730am PST.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Gruntwerk...the thank you above was not sarcastic...after relooking at it, it seemed it could be taken that way.

:)

ON the outlook/word feature, using the internal email editor is faster and simpler. Using word taxes the system processes without need as well as creating bloated emails.

without knowing how the app was installed, you will need to find a site admin for added help. I think that the install is damaged, from what you are describing. there are several ways to repair them, but you have to have access to the original MSI that was used to install the application. Most companies will have a central Distrobution point that has this ability, but will protect it so the average user can't gain access to it.
If this is the case, then you will have to have your IT staff fix it. With out admin rights, you are pretty much stuck untill they can assist you. The repair option is the only usable feature that standard users can gain access to.
When you clicked repair, did it give you a path to a location that couldn't be reached? or just give the error? If it gives you a path, then their might be somthing to work with. I can walk you though a few things if that is the case. if not, then you will need to check the event viewer to get the information about what it is looking for. The error will be listed in the application log with a control source being msiinstaller. You get to event viewer by running "eventvwr" from the run dialog.
Keep us posted.

i think a reinstall would be a good start too. ask the aministrator to do it for you. when it asks for soure it want your offce2000 or word 2000 or ms works suite 2000 or whereever you got word 2000 from. it spins up because it is searching for a cd-rom.

Thanks for your help so far everyone! I've had to take the next couple of days off work to deal with some personal issues. I'll be back in the office on Monday and renew the investigation of this problem. Hopefully by that time I.T. will have time for me.

Thanks again!

It's Tuesday morning. I'm back in the office.

I searched for a "normal.dot" or a .doc on my drive and nothing shows up.

Is there anything else I can do. My IT dept. is still a no show.

Thanks.

Ok...my I.T. dept. came today and couldn't do anything "locally." Referred it to our MS Word guru...linked to my computer remotely. He said he tried the reinstal and that didn't work. After a few trial and error fixes, he tried running the .exe with (I believe he said something like) with .exe/a and that prompted something and that ended up fixing it.

I'll get more info tomorrow as just as he finished, it was time to leave work...and I don't put O.T. just for fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom