New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrdude485

Baseband Member
I'm in the market for a new PC. Was looking to config online from cyber power systems but that was a little bit out of my price range. Am looking to build it myself mainly purchasing from newegg(seems like a really reliable site). I am looking for a somewhat midrange gaming pc. I have never OCed any of my parts before and I am looking to do that in this machine. Let me know if you have any suggestions:

Case: ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA8NW-BL/500 Black/Blue Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail $154

MB: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $173

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $146

RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail $85

*not sure whether to go SATA II or 150*
HD1: SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $103
or
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200M0 200GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $90

HD2: I plan on raid 0

GPU: eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $345

ROM1: NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM $42

ROM2: AOpen 3-Tone 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Combo Drive - Retail $30

Would like input/criticism. No rush

I would suggets OCZ Gold edition RAM. You can find it at newegg. Just seems messed up that you have all these other pretty good components, and then have shit ram. Everything else looks good. Also, I would get SATA 2. I mean sure, it wont run at 3 Gbps. But SATA 150 doesnt run at 150 either. That is its rated burst speed. At least what the cable can handle.

He just said that he has never overclocked. There is no need to get overclocking RAM when you arent overclocking. Overclocking RAM does NOT give a performance increase over generic/valueram unless you are overclocking. gtrdude, you have chosen good RAM for what you use it for.

From the review I have read and from personal experience, I would recommend the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum ATX AMD Motherboard ($135.00) or the GIGABYTE GA-K8N Ultra-9 ATX AMD Motherboard ($126.00) instead of the Asus that you choose.

I noticed that you are getting a mobo that is SLI ready. I kinda think that SLI is overrated, and pretty unnecessary when you already have a 6800GT.

Dont bother with SATA-II. Although the interfaces allow for greater speeds of data transfer, the hard drive itself wouldnt be able to keep up. Therefore, SATA-II is kinda useless (for now). I also recommend Seagate or Western Digital hard drives, due to their performance and reliability.

Someone is gonna tell you that the PSU that comes with that case is crap. It is actually just fine. It is rated for more than what the computer needs, making up for it being no-name.

As for newegg, it seems like a good site. I have never ordered from them because they dont ship to Canada. But, everyone else seems to think they are good.

I am looking to overclock a moderate amount in this pc actually so i dont mind paying a little extra for good ram cuz i know it counts. I went for that mobo because it supports athlon dual core and fx if i want to upgrade when that becomes more mainstream(and cheaper :]). Just want to be able to have alot of options thats all...

Those mobos that I recommended also support dual core and fx CPUs. For a moderate overclock, while keeping the RAM cheap, I recommend pqi Turbo RAM. Its mega-cheap on newegg, and will overclock easily without extra vdimm.

elbatrop if you would of read the post, you wouldnt look like such a jackass. He said he is gonna do overclocking, so why get piece of shit Corsair RAM? Anyways, what are you talking about SATA 2 isnt worth it? There are some drives the same price as SATA 150. Hard drive wont be able to keep up? What? Of course it wouldnt be able to keep up with 3 Gbps consistently. It will however allow the drive to have UP TO 3Gbps burst. For motherboards I suggest, Abit Fatal1ty boards, regular AN8. Or pretty much any of the three of the DFI LanParty Boards. Very high quality boards.

Good luck man!

First off algu, don't disrespect other members when you make yourself look like an idiot.

If you read Elb's post... "For a moderate overclock, while keeping the RAM cheap, I recommend pqi Turbo RAM."

Might want to double-check next time.

And Corsair does fine overclocking, even if it is Value, I would know.

As far as SATA 2, he isn't saying it wouldn't work at all, he is saying there aren't many HD's, if any, that can keep up with that speed constantly.

Dude, if you werent half-retarded you would know that the mechanical parts of the hard drive have pretty much nothing to do with it. Its the connectivity difference between the HD and the motherboard.

Also concerning the RAM, most of the value crap has not to great max. voltage either. The stuff I assume you are suggesting has about 2.5 volts. Which I guess is ok, but OCZ Gold and Platinum Edition RAM has between 2.7-2.75 volts. Thats a couple dozen more mHz thats possible to achieve. Do you overclock? It doesnt look like it.

is it worth it to grab a sound card too? i head the onboard audio of the abit fatal1ty(think im going with that) are pretty good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom