What heatsink to use for FX-55?

When will they seise producing new AGP Video Cards?

• Christmas 2005

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First Quarter 2006 (Jan - Mar)

• Second Quarter 2006 (Apr - Jun)

• Third Quarter Quarter 2006 (Jul - Sep)

• Last Quarter Quarter 2006 (Oct - Dec)

• Some time in 2007

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaross

Baseband Member
Well I got an actic-cool one because I thought it would be better then the stock one, but looking at them, im not so sure:

Actic-Cooling:
35-185-110-08.JPG

specs:
Fan Size 90mm
Compatibility Athlon 64 up to 4000+, Athlon FX up to FX-59, Opteron
RPM 2300rpm
Air Flow 42cfm
Power Connector 4 Pin
Color Black/Silver
LED Light No
Heatsink Material Aluminum
Physical Spec
Fan Dimensions 87 x 87 x 33 mm
Heatsink Dimensions 92 x 92 x 42 mm

Stock AMD one:
Bundle.jpg

You cant see it as good, but this heatsink looks more elaborate. it has copper tubes going in and out of it and there are more metal panels. The fan definatly is not as big and I would assume not as powerful.

here is another pic of the AMD stock one. Im pretty sure that it is the one on the left:

coolers.jpg

so, which one should I use? and either way, should I use the thermal paste that came with the acrtic cooling one?

I found the stock HS&FAN to be pretty good actually. Then after a few months I bought the Zalman 7700cu HS&FAN. Which is great for the FX-55. Don't know if it's a lot better then the stock, but it certain did work very well.

SIDENOTE: I love that picture of the FX-55 out and next to the box. I remember when I first got mine and pulled it out of the box when I was building my former rig... "I remember smiling for about an hour straight." Sweet CPU, you'll get your moneys worth... that's for sure." What did you pay for it?

I like the way he set it up to show it all off packaging and all lol. Sweet cpu man, very awesome. Oh and i have no idea what to tell you on the cooling thing lol :D

I would try the artic cooling one basically because I have a athlon fx-55 also and had bad luck with the stock cooling. I cant tell you for sure because I never tryed that artic hsf.

I personally have a thermalright xp-90C and a 92mm vantec tornado on mine and that works great.

Air Flow 42cfm

Am not sure if the artic HS better but I know that 42cfm is more powerful fan then the fan on the stock hsf.

I payed $811 at newegg. it is a San Diego core I dont know if thats good, but it was slightly cheaper then tigerdirect.

/\ya, i searched on newegg and bought basically the highest airflow I could find :)

ya I didnt take any of those pictures but ya, i pretty much admired it just like you guys when it came this morning.

I think you should get what the other guy has, the Thermalright XP-90c and mount a monster Vantec Tornado on it. :D that would be sweet and you should send me a pic of what it looks like!

*spends some time on google image search:

wow! that is crazy big. looks like it would be very cool. Unfortinatly I spend every last penny avalible to me on my recent purchases for my rig.

whatabout this thermal paste? I think the stock AMD one is a thermal pad, but the arctic-cooling came with paste. which should I use?/can I use a combination?

I suppose I will try the Arctic-cooling but maybe I will try to see if the arctic-cooling can will fit on the stock heatsink.

The XP-120 Cools mine at 38C idle, Im running Overclocked by one multiplier unit (14x200).

Make sure you use Article Silver 5 Thermal Paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom