Office Apps(Word and Excel) Open Slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chas

Beta member
When directly opening Word Docs or Excel Spreadsheets on a Win2k Server running Office 2000, winword.exe and excel.exe take at least 45 seconds to begin running and then an additional 10-15 seconds for the document to load. If you open winword.exe or excel.exe directly, then go to file > open and browse for the document they will open instantly. I have done the following without success:

1) Scanned for Viruses, Spyware, Adware using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 9.0, Spybot, and Adaware - no viruses and no major adware\spyware.
2) turned Symantec Antivirus off
3) removed and reinstalled Office 2k
4) defragmented all three partitions of the hard drive
5) there is plenty of free drive space
6) 512MB of RAM - all other programs open fine, excel and winword will open quickly, just not the documents themselves
7) reboot pc nightly

After removing and installing Office 2k, I attempted to double-click on a document, I was prompted to accept the EULA, accepted and the document opened immediately. All following attempts to open any Word or Excel document displayed the "slow" symptoms.

Using Norton AV, you have to go into Options General and uncheck the "Enable Plugin" box at the bottom under Microsoft Office XP Plugin.

Symantic must have a similar feature but I don't know what it is.

I unloaded the symantec antivirus service and tested, so I figured that option was ruled out.

go to run, and type in msconfig, there should be an exe that launches ms office quick launcher.. i forgot what's the name, but search options on google.. :D or just click all of them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom