Reducing dust entering the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, yea. So it's basically the other way around :).

But actually, I think dust causes the most problems simply by not letting components act as proper heatsinks, not so much that it actually alters air flow, the dust is basically insulating the components or just blocking the air from properly cooling. Of course, it can completely alter airflow.

Dust is attracted to electronics in general because of static electricity; this quality, combined with the circulation of air created by the fans in a computer case, means that impressive quantities of dust can collect in a surprisingly short time period (depending, of course, on the amount of dust in the area). If dust is not removed from electronics, it creates an insulating blanket and can lead to over-heating and damage to circuits.

grego said:
Awesome. Heat doesn't "attract" dust either. I'm pretty sure TV screens get dusty because of the positive charge generated by the way the picture is created, which then attracts little tiny dust particles.

EDIT: Oh, btw. My tv screen gets dusty, but doesnt ever get hot... [/B]

That's what I was gonna say.. Static electricity.. Not heat :)

uzi9mm said:
But having too much dust built up in your computer case, causes higher temps due to the lack of proper airflow.

This is the very reason why I want to reduce the dust getting into the case. My system fan gets very noisy whenever the CPU gets too hot, probably because of so much dust in the case.

uzi9mm said:
Airfilters greatly reduce the airflow too.

I would just clean out your computer every 2-3 months, with a can of dust off or a compressor.

I just ran some tests and under a full load, my case temp doesnt change, regardless of whether or not my intake filter is installed or not. It is a very fine filter, too. It actually came with my Thermaltake Tsunami case, so it is built right into the intake. I just checked it for dust and after just a month of running it actually had a decent amount of dust blocked.

So, I'm sure whether or not your filter "reduces airflow" is greatly dependent upon which filter you select... mine doesn't seem to hinder airflow, and it definitely blocks dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom