Windows install help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
My son said he accidently put a second copy of windows xp pro in my cdrom and partially completed a windows install. Now when I boot up I have two choices: My orignal OS and the new windows install. How do I get rid of this 2nd install request log at boot?:confused: :confused:

You'll have to go into your Boot.INI file........

Heres what a normal xp boot.ini will look like

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file with a previous installation of Windows XP on a separate partition.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Just go into the boot.ini and delete the second installation

Thanks!!!!! I had suspicion that is where I needed to be but now I'm going to have to remember how to access boot.ini!!

RicoDirenzo said:
Thanks!!!!! I had suspicion that is where I needed to be but now I'm going to have to remember how to access boot.ini!!

No problem, it's a hidden file don't forget, so you have to unhide it. Should be in the root of your drive.

Haven't had a chance to do it yet but it's sort of moot because I'm reinstalling a fresh XP pro this weekend. For some strange reason, my XP pro update serial number isn't recognized my MS Genuine (?). I bought XP pro OEM. I want it for reinstall without previous windows verification anyway. Thanks for all your help!

for the sake of ppl google-ing for the answer, all you have to do is right click my computer and go to properties (or use the windows key+pause/break key), click the advanced tab go to startup and recovery settings and click edit to access boot.ini.

fateisajester said:
for the sake of ppl google-ing for the answer, all you have to do is right click my computer and go to properties (or use the windows key+pause/break key), click the advanced tab go to startup and recovery settings and click edit to access boot.ini.

I didn't google the answer

Bump: Update. Editing the boot.ini file accomplished nothing. I had to boot from the XP cd and enter recovery : went to bootcfg /fixboot and and selected the primary os boot from there and..................done deal. Any speculation as to why modifying the boot.ini file failed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom