wanting more out of my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michowski

In Runtime
well i guess il start off by saying im new to the forums so hello everyone. And i was wondering if i can get anymore speed out of my system at all. specs are........

AMD Athlon 64 3400
MSI K8N Neo platinum
Crucial Ballistics 512mb stick
ATI Radeon 9600 pro

I have my bio's all updated and drivers all updated and my system still seems to slow for what i got. I mean starting up windows and loading all the startup programs takes like 2 minutes before i get normal speed without that lag type effect. After exiting games it takes several minutes before i can do simple stuff like opening the programs menu or even restarting my system to renew all the memory settings.

Lately ive been tinkering around in the bio's trying to increase my cpu fsb and i dont notice any difference in speed. My system is reliable tho and never crashes, freezes or anything, it just seems underpowered. I am going to be picking up another stick of 512 and a radeon x800 all in wonder so im hoping i can see some more performance soon. But in the mean time is there anything else i can tell ya about my system to help get more out of my computer now? I dont think it should take 2 minutes for all the startup programs to start before my computer gets rid of that laggy feeling. Can anyone possibly help me?

um.. when did you start to notice your computer slowing down and acting like this. I mean if you installed something and then it started doing this and stuff im jsut trying to think of things that mit be causing this.

well since i got my athlon processor and board around winter time, Im just now starting to get back into a gaming phase and im now noticing this performance lack of. Ive mostly been on the internet untill recently.

that system to me sounds great better then mine lol. Um... i don't understand why it should be doing this for. hardware fines from what you posted, it being laggy mit be your vga card maybe rams good. mobo great, cpu its great mit be the vga or something esle.

well i dont think i should be staring at the moniter for 2-3 minutes waiting for the startup programs to load. Ive got less then 10 programs for crying out loud. I shouldnt have to wait like 3-4 minutes before i can do anything after exiting an online game. What can cause this? Is that stuff normal?

no i mean mine on some program do take like 1 to 2 minutes. It really shouldn't i mean thats bad, ram is most of the speed to help spped your system up but you have 512mb of it so it cant be that. um.. y is it doing this im wondering to dude trying to think of things that will do this. If ii cant which mostly likey i cant someone esle will beable to tell you.

I see a few areas where you could use improvement.

1.) If you're, "into gaming" you're videocard absolutely needs to be upgraded. A 6800GT would give you a good boost in performance without leaving cobb-webs in your pocket.

2.) By todays gaming standards, "512MB" of RAM isn't going to cut the cake. Upgrade to at least a GIG.

3.) If you only have one HDD, consider picking up another and use it as storage. Move all of you critical files over to it. Then give your primary a full format and reinstall your OS and all your drivers and essentical programs. After a fresh install, keep your primary HDD with your OS & DRIVERS & PROGRAMS Defragged and light. Use your secondary (if you have one or purchase one, for all of your media files, backup files, game saves and paging file.)

4.) If you do go into your case and upgrade, take the time to completely clean out all dust and debris with a can of compressed air.

5.) Investigate your system, cpu and vga temps. Download "motherboard monitor 5" or use a similar temp. monitoring program to make sure your system components are operating at a safe temp. Overheating is one of the largest causes of poor system performance. Also the stress that it causes components lessens their lifespan.

6.) Of course after format and reinstall, protect yourself with the proper, "adware, spyware and virus" protection.

There are a few other things, but you should start with these.
You've got a nice CPU and should be fine in that department. IF you do decide to upgrade a few mentioned components, make sure your PSU can handle the upgrade. 400-600w PSU's are becoming more and more the standard for a good gaming PC.

Good luck...

yup already done everything you mentioned. MSi is great for monitering temps and voltage. My cpu never gets above 100F. I think il just start with getting a vid card and memory and then seeing what happens. Could my video card be slowing me down as well? Maybe like not compatible with my board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom