unlock cpu multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

jester6565

In Runtime
Im helping my friend to overclock his cpu, he has a AMD 3400, All i want to know is, is there a way to unlock the multiplier it seems its locked. And running overclocked how much of the life of the cpu is taken away?

Unlocking the multiplier would require some soldering to the chip itself most likely, I haven't read up on AMD64 multipliers though so I don't even know if or how it can be done.

I see you have an FX-57, and just for reference, there is more to overclocking a CPU than raising the multiplier. In most cases, that isn't even an option, and you have to go through the more challenging (yet fun ;)) process of increasing FSB speed

Overclocking the CPU will usually reduce the lifespan by a few thousand hours.

yea but i dont really need to overclock mine, my friends is slower, from what ive read I know how to raise fsb I just wanted to know if you could unlock. But i guess not

No, the only CPUs that come with multipliers unlocked out of the box are the Athlon FX ones. The normal AMD64 chips will have multipliers locked, and as I said, the only way you'll get them unlocked is modifying the chip itself. I do not know the procedure nor even if it is possible, but I do not recommend it if you do not want to risk ending up with a dead chip when all is said and done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom