Games stutter/hang on my Nvidia System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambla

Beta member
Recently I've noticed something odd happening with all of my games, but before I get into that let me get into my system specs: P4 2.4ghz, 512 megs of ram, 80 gig hd, and a Geforce 4 Ti 4600. Basically, I first noticed this in Final Fantasy XI, when the game will run smoothly but every 15-30 minutes, the game would hang for a few seconds. I've since defragged (and actually reformatted) my harddrive and this problem persists. I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers. I've also seen the problem in Max Payne 2, and Battlefield 1942 so I don't believe it to be game oriented. Now, after much frustration I found that running Battlefield in 800x640 eliminates this problem, whereas 1024x768 and moreso 1240x1024 leaves the game temporarily stuttering once or twice every minute. I can run the game at 1600x1200 with 4X AA and get framerates above 30 so I know that my system and graphics card can handle this. Usually, such problems are RAM related but I think 512 should be plenty. Also, my brother has an identical system save for a 4400 instead of a 4600 :) and runs the same games without this problem. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated

I've come across similar problems a couple of times .. Firstly check by running the game after killing all other processes on ur system ... U can probably use the process viewer from this page
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Since the task manager in XP doesn't always show all the processes.

Also check to see the timing setting of ur graphic card
U could also check up the memory of ur display card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom