Command Prompt Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE-Thebornotaku

Baseband Member
when i tried to format my C:\ drive to re-install windows (something was seriously borked) it wouldn't let me fromat the partition, and i was wondering how i can format it through command prompt or any other way, because the windows installer doesn't let me. should i use Dletree C:\*.*?

thanks,
AE-TBO

Which version of windows are you attempting to install? If it is xp, you simply need to boot from the CD and the formating issue will be handled by Windows installation as a default. Deltree C:\ *.* is the old dos command to wipe files off your drive and if you intend to dos format for an older OS format C: will always give you the warning message that "all information will be lost if you proceed, are you sure"? So what OS are you installing?

Edit: and anyway, before you dos format you should run fdisk and delete the existing dos partition and then install a new primary dos partition and have dos verify the integrity of the drive before fat 32 format.

um, i am running XP, and i am wanting to format it to re-install it, because my HD is 1. full, 2. full of trojans.

windows XP wouldn't let me delete the partition on C:\ so i am trying to do it another way.

Here is what you do:
1) use a OS bootable floppy (windows 98se or ME)
2) Run Fdisk: delete the non-dos partition #4 (I presume you have NFTS file system running?)
3) Create a primary dos partition #1.
4) Go into your CMOS (hit del) and change the device boot prioity to cdrom 1st, hd 2nd and floppy 3rd. You will change it back after XP does the initial copy of file and reboots.
5) Just select boot form cd at the command prompt.
6) NTFS slow format your hard drive and viola!!!!
7) Install XP!

the proper way to format in DOS is easy just type "format C:" or format C:/" I can't remember which one it is. fdisk also works if it is a FAT file system.

1. i don't have any boot floppy's. D:
2. also the only floppy drive we have is an external USB 2.0 floppy, my mobo wont run USB without it's drivers (annoying as hell)
3. yes i am running NTFS

1 Use the CD
2 Use DOS

You can't use DOS without the drivers so that is a problem. Is there an option to go into DOS from the CD?

Well I did this recently on a friend's computer. Completely reformatted the drive. Boot with the XP disk and select the "R" (repair) option. I can't remember exactly what options to follow off the top of my head, but you should be able to get to a command prompt from there. Then run the format.com program. (located in \windows\command)

format C:

Since format.com will get loaded onto memory, I would imagine there wouldn't be a problem. Worked for me.. :)

On my system, I always use boot disks. But this guy didn't have any, much like you. And I didn't want to run to my house. So I just played around with the CD, and it let me get to a command prompt via this route.

Why didn't I let the disk format during the install process?.. Well it didn't do a proper job. When you do a "fresh" (ahem) install over the "formatted" install, it would still produce the same problem. Obviously, it didn't "really" format it. When I ran format.com explicitly everything was peachy.

im not quite sure, but xp install cd is VERY similer(sp?) to a boot disk. when you pop it in just go to the repair section instead of intall. then format c:. or you could get a copy of gentoo linux's live cd and format that way (or most distro's for that matter). but i think the repair option would be ur best bet. imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom