Regarding backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILMAN

In Runtime
My harddrives on my current computer have been going bad for some time now. The problems started off minor but now one of my harddrives sounds like a microwave and I think the bearings maybe coming lose or the heads are coming in contact with something. It hasn't caused performance issues (yet) but I am really worried that this thing could fail at any time. I'm on a backup computer at the moment and ordered a 250 gig SATA drive but have some questions regarding backup. First of all when I put the drive in my computer will windows XP recognize it right away or will I need to install some sort of drivers? Will norton ghost work good to copy everything over and will I be able to set the new drive as a master and have everything work as if nothing were changed or will I have to end up reinstalling windows? What option should I do this from in norton ghost? (Several options). Thanks.

I'm using an asus p4c800 deluxe motherboard by the way regarding the recognization of the new harddrive.

ok well it should recognize it but u should go into my computer then right click and format the drive. i dont know exactly what norton ghost is but if it does the same thing as i think it is partition magic then yea u can copy everything over without reinstalling windows.

it's similar to partition magic. I was told I can just use it to copy all the files over and then set the drive to master and it should be fine. I haven't received the drive yet just ordered it online today from monarchcomputer with 2 day shipping because it's pretty urgent. I'm really worried about the other hd's so hopefully it won't fail on me while trying to copy the files over to the new drive.

If you have a working machine running XP, just put in the new drive as a slave and windows will recognize it. You can format the new drive right from the XP disk managment console. Then use Norton Ghost and it will make an exact working replica of your old drive and your done! Piece of cake.

This is more of a windows question lucky for me I know little about hardware.

If you change ANY hardware such as your HD, Mobo, or any other major part WINDOWS WILL NOT WORK. The problem is that it will not match your hardware profile in Microsoft and it will say you CD key is invalid (making ligit key invalid) and lock you out of your system.

Well do so at your own risk because if there is a change in your hardware profile microsoft will not let you use windows (in this case the windows that has all your data)

ask in the windows forum and you will get the same responce.

i turned on my regular computer today and the harddrive isn't making any noises now. Weird.

Tyler1989 said:
This is more of a windows question lucky for me I know little about hardware.

If you change ANY hardware such as your HD, Mobo, or any other major part WINDOWS WILL NOT WORK. The problem is that it will not match your hardware profile in Microsoft and it will say you CD key is invalid (making ligit key invalid) and lock you out of your system.

Yae but if he ghosts the current harddrive onto a new one, as far as Windows knows, it is the same hardware profile, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom