Program to scan my hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
I know my laptop hd has some errors on it, but whenever I try to run chkdsk on Windows XP it will hang at random points. I want a disk scan/repair program that I can run without having to put it on the hard disk (like from a cd or floppy), so I can scan it without any hanging. I've tried a couple but they're all shareware versions that will scan but won't do any repairing. Can anyone give me a link? THanks.

Put your Windows Xp cd in the cd rom. Boot the system and press a key when you see the "Press any key to Boot to CD" option. Then once you are in there, solect the recovery console, (Press R). Select the correct mounting, 1 is ussually the only option unless you have dual boot. Then once you are to the command prompt, type Chkdsk /r
That should do it for you...
Good luck

Tells me I have one or more unrecoverable errors (thats bad, right? :))
I'm trying Salvation Scan and Repair to see if that helps, I really don't want to spend money on a new hard drive for this thing.

Generally, you should be able to repair the drive by having chkdsk mark the sectors as bad. Depending upon the location of the bad sectors, you may need to reinstll windows. However...........once this starts happening, I've found that the errors become progressive as the drive continues to "take a dump". Save your data....if you can't boot into windows, buy a new hd and install the damaged drive as a slave and then save your data back to the master if you can still access the drive. Yes, it sucks when you hard drive dies!!!!!

My problem in this case is that its a laptop. Is there a way to connect my laptop's hard disk to my desktop as a slave (both are ide)? Would I just connect it as a normal hard drive and set it as a slave or do I have to buy an adapter of some sort?

Yes. You need to get a pin converter, as the LT HDD is smaller than the STD IDE cable. they are $10 at radio shack.

Good luck

I have bad memories of radio shack and I think they con you out of your money (sorry Rshack enployees if you read this). Try walmart.

Why not just buy a crossover cable and transfer your data that way? Would save you a potential headache.

Well it looks like I'll have to buy a new hard drive, guys. Every scanning program I downloaded would freeze or hang during the actual repair portion of itself, including chkdsk. Finally I found an IBM utility (they made my hd in the first place) and it diagnosed my disk with having a mechanical error a couple of times.
I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but it looks like it has. My disk will emit an audible *click* at seemingly random times and then hang for several seconds. My Windows XP data is corrupted on it as well, it no longer boots. Luckily everything important was also backed up to my external hard drive and all programs can be reinstalled.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom