how to determine power supply needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPfreely

Beta member
hey guys!

i just installed a DVD burner and now my system is rebooting at random. does anyone know of a way to determine how big your power supply should be? any rough estimate or anthing?

thanks!!

IPfreely

Unfortunatly, there is no 'one way' to determine the power supply you need. [ That I know of anyway. ] The only real way to do this is to go component by component and their power rating, but this is unrealistic.

350watts, used to be a 'standard' but with users adding more and more components, power needs have went up.

Your best bet, (especially if you plan to upgrade anymore) is to get a good brand 400/450 watt ps. It is always better to have more, than not enough. A ps of that size, should have no troubles running everything in a conventional box.

nuts that what i suspected. i've got 450 i think but i may need more:

3 HD's, 1.5G ram, 1 DVDROM, 1 DVDburner, 1CD burner, dual video cards, IDE controller card, audigy extegigy sound card, zip drive etc.. you get the picture ;)

have any suggestions for a reputable 600W power supply?

thank you,
IPfreely

my needs are 286watts it says and i have a 350watt generic ps. iF i add 3 extra fans, i got 2 fans right now will this powersupply handle it.

Like cheap fans. Im guessing 3 watts each, so i think so, but i could be wrong.

the following is running on this power supply right now.
I got 4.89volts for 5v and 3.24volts for 3.3v and 12.48volts for 12v
i confirmed these with a multimeter and there off by .0x on the asus probe.
Barton 2500
mobo
2 x ddr
rad 9200
1hdd
1cd
1cdrw
2 fans 80mm 90mm
cpu fan? stock
+++++++++++++++

I'm running with 235W PS with no problem and it's not even hot yet. The site recommend 400W !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom