Editing System

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickness

In Runtime
I'm helping a friend build a computer to edit video and such. What do you guys suggest as far as a processor and motherboard? I know I'm going to need quite a bit of Ram. I was thinking ~2 gigs worth. Also, what kind of video card should we look at? Thanks.

If you've got the money I would suggest a dual-core dual-proc system. That's only if you've got a ton of money though. If not, just go with a high end dual core cpu. 2 gigs would be nice, but one gig will get you through just fine.

The video card is really not that important unless you start doing a lot of 3D stuff. A 6600GT should have you set you up for a very good while for anything besides pure 3d rendering. You could even easily get by on a lower model card, but I'm not sure that the price/performance ratio would make it worth it.

Beyond that I highly recommend getting at least one 10k RPM raptor hard drive. They get way better performance than most other hard drives (though a few new 7200s are coming close in a couple areas). With the hard drive being one of the slowest components of a computer, I can't believe that more people (notably "enthusiasts") don't have one of these, though MANY do. The only draw is that a single raptor is only 74gb. Unless you are dealing with a very uncompressed video format however, this should be enough to have quite a few projects in rotation at once. Obviously, you'd probably need a storage hard drive, which is easily enough acquired. You could even slap two raptors in Raid-0 to form a 128gb hard drive that is even faster, if you are concerned about the space. As long as you transfer your projects over to the slower HDD once you are good and done with them, it really shouldnt be a problem though.

I've done video editing at a small studio for a couple of years, and that is my advice to you.

BTW, between an extra gig of ram or a raptor HDD, I would take the Raptor any day. Well, unless its a server or some stuff like that......

Alright. So, if I was to load the OS and do the video editing on the 10k drive, and save the final movie to a 250 gig 7200 drive, would that do it? I'll look into that Raptor drive. And he said he plans on doing some minor 3D stuff. Nothing like Half-Life 2/DoomIII I don't think. I was thinking a couple of 6600GT in SLI mode.

Yea, what you said about the hard drives is correct. Once you think you're done with a movie, just transfer the final project to a 250GB drive.

A couple of 6600GT in SLI is definitely not neccessary. The performance equivalent of that would be a single 6800GT, but the 6800GT would even win in games that don't support SLI. Anyway, two 6600GT would probably be overkill, just like a 6800GT would be. It really depends on what type of 3D stuff he will be doing. If it is just 3D transitions and menus then by all means a single 6600GT will own it. If you want it to be a sweet gaming rig, too, a 6800GT would be a better bet over 2x6600GT.

Given that SLI was made for the reason that it was, I don't see the point in putting two mid-range cards in SLI... unless that's the reason SLI was created... to be pointless! Pointless unless you have the money to buy 2xhigh end cards, that is. The single high end card will give you better performance over 2 mid grades in SLI.

Alright, cool. Thanks for all the advice. He's comming over now and we're gonna take a look at some online stores. Get some prices and such. I'm sure a single 6600GT would work just fine.

Why do you have a dvdrw AND a dvdrom? Thats rather redundant.

And you're missing a floppy...

I had a question about CD-Rom drives, but forgot to ask it. I wasn't sure if the HP DVD-RW would be good enough to play things like games, or audio CDs or movies. I wasn't sure if I needed a seperate DVD-Rom drive or not for that kind of stuff. So would I be okay with just getting rid of that DVD-Rom drive? I'd save me a couple bucks.

this is going to sound crazy but DONT GET AN ATI OR NVIDIA CARD!!! getting a nive card for gaming will not help you for video editng. get a Matrox card. 3d is different then 2d and a 3d card will not help you very much. or, honestly, get a mac for video editing. they handle it very nicley, and Final Cut only runs on macs. Final Cut is the industry standard for video editing. several movies have been made in it and so on.

Go to newegg.com and for brand select matrox. I know they are expensive, but trust me, you will be much better off for video editing.

Also, as far as programs go, check out AVID Experess. you can get a free version from it, search google for "AVID Free".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom