good gaming card????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmeik

Beta member
I want to upgrade my grapics card radeon9000 but am not sure which one to go for was thinking about (read good things) about geforce6800GT or ati X800 ? was going to spend around £200 any suggestions welcome ....

well out of the 2 i would go with the 6800gt its alot better tehn that x800 series from ATi. The 6800GT will last you alot longer with out problems.

The card I just bought gets fantastic reviews (see the card in my signature) and it is passively cooled, no noisy fan. You do need good airflow in your case though and it is PCIe rather than AGP. It looks fantastic in Doom 3 and FarCry. It also has Video IN as well as out and dual display (One DVI and one D-Sub)
And yes, I am the one who has posted Video problems, but these existed before I upgraded (Windows crisis methinks).
Check out this link http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/71633/gigabyte-gvrx80l256v.html

Check these figures out, at a screen resolution of 1024x768 4xAA & 8xAA
Gigabyte X800XL (PC Pro)- Doom 3 77.1 fps
6800 GT (Toms hardware) - Doom 3 64.5 fps

Passive cooling and other extras.

I like to research before I buy.

I admit it isn't THE best card out there, but I dont have £400 or SLI and I don't like noisy fans.

If he has a radeon 9000 I think he will have AGP. Maybe even AGP 4x depending on the age of his mobo. May need to upgrade that too if performance is his need

CJJohnson said:
Check these figures out, at a screen resolution of 1024x768 4xAA & 8xAA
Gigabyte X800XL (PC Pro)- Doom 3 77.1 fps
6800 GT (Toms hardware) - Doom 3 64.5 fps

Passive cooling and other extras.

I like to research before I buy.

I admit it isn't THE best card out there, but I dont have £400 or SLI and I don't like noisy fans.

Compare the same website, their different demo's in doom3

There is no contest between 6800GT and X800XL, the 6800 GT dominates. The X800XL is also known to lose steam in shader heavy DX9 titles like the upcomming F.E.A.R., while the 6800 GT plays it as smooth as butter. Also, the 6800GT has SM3, which is a huge deal for future games. Definately the 6800 GT, don't even think about the X800XL.

Are you sure?? Only joking.

I don't buy cards for future games, I buy cards for games that are available now. By the time that there are enough games to use these enhancements I will probably upgrade then, also, by then the games may have extra features that your card doesn't support. Do the cards drive the games? or the Games drive the cards? The only thing certain about living on the cutting edge of technology is that it hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom