Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimholley1

Solid State Member
I am new to this tech forum, and I hope to find some good help here.

I am always looking for ways to tweak my XP Pro loaded computer, without spending bucks on the latest and greatest hardware, so I thought this would be a good place to start.

any good links to good reliable tweaking info would be appreciated.

It seems I am only getting 60% use of my ram, maybe due to uneeded running processes and such, so any info on only NEEDED processes running in Win XP Pro w/ sp1 would be helpful.

overclocking seems to be the normal answer, but blue screens are no fun, and no one has been able to tell me how to adjust properly.

Any info on this subject is also appreciated.

well if you wish to o/c dont o/c your ram just trust me on this. Go into bios and up the fsb for your cpu and it should get you a higher clock speed. Just dont fry it. If signs of being un stable occur just kick it back to stock speed. Oh and only mess with v a bit not to much. O/cing is very nifty and fun. If you arn't trying to go to the extreme and this is done right no danmage will happen. Welcome to tech-heaven

O/C

Thanks for the reply, I have palayed with the BIOS a bit, no your right, DO NOT mess with the RAM, I also learned several things about the AK77-400N board by AOpen in the process.
The FSB does not like to be fooled with, nor does the V, there is a muliplier next to the FSB and it likes X16 (ONLY), I have reset the CMOS 3 times to find all this out.
I have a recent bios update that all the guys on the AOpen tech forum are still trying to figure out:eek:
With this BIOS update, and the multiplier only, plus forcing the board to recognize the 256 cache on chip, I have taken a XP2400+, from 1999, and got the board to recognise it as a XP2600+ at 2.13 gig, but believe me after a couple CMOS resets, I am done trying, as i think this is as good as it is going to get.
I will just upgrade the pc2700 ram fro better ram performance for now I'm done and happy.;)
Thanks again for the reply.

p.s. if you know anything about the ASUS A7N8X board, it seems my partner can't get his multiplier to get of it's but, and make the CPU pick up a bit, so If you can help him unlock the board or processor, as he thinks this is his problem, please reply to him on this forum at "ajflick42" w/o quotations.

Thanks again.

has a problem with multipler eh. Well when did he get his equitment? Because multipliers now a days are locked and steppings 11 and 13 are taken out. The best thing for him would to up his fsb. But dont do it so much it becomes un stable.
I have a 2800+ barton reporting as 3200+ by uping fsb in bios. Haven't touched multiplier.
If he really wants to do it this wat then post problem in more detail please like what happens when you go to do it or what not.
And if you want an other forum to list in go to www.pcmech.com and hit forums. Hal9000 or glc should get the multipler un stuck but they would also need more info as well so please post here as i think i can help you with his problem

also flashing bios is a good way to go to ssee if it has a version where multiplier is un locked or more accesable had a guy with same problem but that was his solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom