How to get the mailserver to send message when it's down

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogo76

Solid State Member
Hi, all

I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice of my issue.

This is what's happening to our network. We have a small network that consists of a mailserver, fileserver, and about 6 computers attached to the network.

All of the computers are using windows XP 2003 professional.

For security reason, our mailserver cannot communicate with any of the internal computers including the fileserver and is located on a separate network called network A and the rest of the computers including fileserver is on the network B.

However, because of the fact that our mailserver tends to fall down every now and then, i was thinking of writing a program that would send a small message to all of us in the network B to notify that it's actually down.

My question is
1. I am not 100% sure that this is feasible since the mailserver does not talk to the internal network. Is there a way out for this?

2. If this is doable, i wonder what kind of programming languages i should use.

Thank you in advance.

sure it's doable, but there are some problems...
if the server goes down, how it supposed to talk?
Since that seems to be the big one to me, might want to setup a machine that can monitor the mailserver.
I would suggest using Perl, since it's my scripting language of choice, but that is up to you.
The other issue I can think of is, sinse the mailserver is down, you can't send mail to notify you of a problem. Can you send messenger traffic between? How will the notice reach the destination? Can you do a broadcast SMTP message? can you call a cellphone or send a page?

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom