Status
Not open for further replies.

Rixx

Beta member
hi all,

I'm planning to buy a new system based on one of the two processors:

- AMD Athlon 64 3200+
- Pentium 4 (new 640) 3.2Ghz 2mb Cache with HT

Im choosing only one of these processors due to budget. However, I have no idea which one to go for! I want to use the PC for Gaming and Video rendering and Web authoring. Ive heard all sorts of things and have looked at a few reviews, however would really appreciate any opinions people could give me.

Thanks in advance,

RickyS

i would go with the 3200 for gaming...for video rendering...??..i really dont know.. but the athlons are better for gaming

Okay for most tasks, these processors are pretty even in peformance.

However AMD has a large advantage in gaming, Intel has a large advantage

Try to read some benchmarks. Personally I would go for the AMD as both will be able to handle rendering, and I do alot of gaming.

yea it depends on what your doing. playing 1 or 2 games go intel. playing a lot more games go amd.

yea it depends on what your doing. playing 1 or 2 games go intel. playing a lot more games go amd.
i pearsonaly like intel and thats a nice 64 bit one so go intel

The AMD 3200 is like a 2.4ghz, and is much slower then the P4 3.2ghz.

I would stay away from AMD, cause there is so many problems with AMD and gaming, like look at the World of Warcraft support forum, the number one issue (error 131) only happens with AMD processors.

Most gaming companies develope games on Intel systems, and are only tested with AMD. I would rather have a CPU that games were written for, not ported to.

madmunki said:

I would stay away from AMD, cause there is so many problems with AMD and gaming, like look at the World of Warcraft support forum, the number one issue (error 131) only happens with AMD processors.

Most gaming companies develope games on Intel systems, and are only tested with AMD. I would rather have a CPU that games were written for, not ported to.

What are you talking about? AMD beats Intel for gaming no problem. Yes, The AMD mgiht be 2.4ghz but you obviously dont know much about amd becasue that doesnt matter, the architecture is different, thats why its called the 3200+, because it matches the p4 3.2ghz and exceeds it in gaming.

madmunki said:

This will get you into trouble. Dont look at the clock speeds differences. The 3200 venice is comparable to 3.2ghz prescott. Personally i would go with the P4, but Amds are better for gaming. You will be happy with either one so you will have to choose yourself...

Heh, you guys are funny. The socket 939 3200+ runs at 2.0ghz, not 2.4. Comparing Intel clocks to AMD clocks is a retarded act to say the least.

If I were you I'd go with the AMD 3200+ and get a venice core. It is a very good core all around, and solid for overclocking. I have mine overclocked to 2.45ghz, making it roughly equal to a 4.2ghz pentium 4 if I remember correctly.

The 3200+ already has an edge in games, and if you OC it even a little bit it will probablyl gain the edge in applications, too. Plus, its probably cheaper at $190, but I could be wrong about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom