Tired of losing drivers when you reinstall XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
part of this trick was courtesy of PCWorld

download the proper OS batch file to your desktop or your C drive (It didn't work when I copied it from another partition). If it don't download, copy and paste it in notepad and save it as drivercopy. rename the .txt extension to .bat. viola, you now have a batch file.

XP
98,ME

open it. it will open command prompt. it will copy the files to your C drive

it will save it as a hidden folder called olddrivers. (you have to unhide them in folder options to see them). you can now burn it to disk (I would burn the batch file too). if you ever have reformat, you can throw this disc in (make you use the add new hardware wizard or update in device manager) when you are done. it will contain all of your latest drivers.

oldrivers1.jpg

oldrivers2.jpg

Not bad, I like the idea although whenever I format my hard drive there are always new drivers out that I have to download but this could come in useful for things like my memory card reader and other things that dont really get a driver update.

that's the thing. it will have your latest driver, not neccessary the old drivers that came with your mobo cd

Thats a great tip, thanks. That would be great for using nLite coupled with all the service packs. :)

Thanks EricB!!!! Totally cool!! I'm updating to XP pro this weekend with a fresh install...couldn't be more welcome and timely post. Query......if I'm going from XP home to Xp pro fresh install, will this batch file be recognized by pro? (seems that logic would dictate that the answer is yes but, after all, it is a microsoft product!!!) :)

RicoDirenzo said:
Thanks EricB!!!! Totally cool!! I'm updating to XP pro this weekend with a fresh install...couldn't be more welcome and timely post. Query......if I'm going from XP home to Xp pro fresh install, will this batch file be recognized by pro? (seems that logic would dictate that the answer is yes but, after all, it is a microsoft product!!!) :)

LOL.

yes, it will work. you will copy your driver to cd. my drivers and what nots took up 487 mb. the batch file copies the driver to a hidden folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom