Testing PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-Strike

Daemon Poster
Ok, I just bought a new case from Intrex computer store, along w/ a 400W PSU. Now, I screwed it in, and just connected the power connector in and plugged it into the wall, I flipped the switch, and nothing happened. The fan didn't spin. Does this mean the PSU is faulty? I watched the guy at the store test it right in front of my eyes and it worked fine. Does the 20 pin connector have to be connected to the MoBo for the fan to spin?

think about it dude...your PSU doesn't turn on your computer simply by flipping a switch right..

http://www.casemodgod.com/cmg/Howto-story--16.html

Read that..you gotta connect the only green wire in there with the black wire to the left of it...use a paperclip...if you really want to see a good pic, I'll take a pic of my test PSU for you.

The power switch that you hook up to your mobo jumps those two pins which then sends a signal to the PSU to turn on...following that tutorial skips all that of course

Wow ok so I have to do all that to be able to use my PSU? Or that is just a way to test? Because I am scared out of my mind to try that.

Means the power supply didnt turn on. Most likely a power supply problem <-_->
Nah, he just wants to have power to his fans but not have the PSU plugged into the mobo...theres no problem, he's just gotta connect a couple wires in the PSU first.

EDIT: CS, give me a couple minutes and I'll give you a pic of mine...you don't have to cut wires like that dude, he's just making it permanent.

I basically just want to make sure it powers before I plug it into my 2nd build I am doing. Chris it can't be a problem because the guy tested it and it worked.

testpsu1.jpg

testpsu2.jpg

and bam you can test your PSU...just make sure that paperclip doesn't like, rest on the metal part of the psu or something like that

yeah, like I said...the guy in that tutorial cut the wires to make it a permanent test PSU...but the point to be observed is the fact those two wires just need to be connected in some fashion...a paper clip works wonders.

Theres only one green wire, and it's the black wire to the left of it that it needs to be jumped with....this of course being when you're looking straight at it with the green wire in the front and as you can see generally that little clip is in front as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom