DDr theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

XT

Daemon Poster
hey guys just theoretically say you have a amd board with 3 memory sockets right say you put 2 sticks of 256mb ram pc3500 right to enable ddr right but you add a third stick of 512mb right pc3500 would ddr still be enabled or not? ddr=double data rate

i think you meant to say dual channel or dual mode not DDR. i dont know the answer, but my guess is dual channel would be disbaled in that case.

I think double data rate always works, but you will lose the advantage of the Dual Channel access in the third stick.

DDR stays, but you can't run 3 sticks in Dual Channel. You must use only two of the same size ram. If you mismatch the memory, for dual channel, it will run at the lowest rated ram's speed.

LOL! By the time I type my answer, it was already answered twice. Must be getting slow :)

ekÆsine said:
i think you meant to say dual channel or dual mode not DDR. i dont know the answer, but my guess is dual channel would be disbaled in that case.
yea thanks thats it. it gives you around 10-20% increase in performance but still its wourth it. So how can you loose the ablity in the third stick and have the other 2 working in that state? i dont think that would work. Could be possable but i dont get how that could work
Eit-thats it seeing as the normal rule is the ram works as fast as the weakest link that memory would still cary out that feature and that ram would run as fast as the 512 stick. Thanks

yeah i agree dual channel mode would be disabled in all three memory banks. and do not worry about dual channel, it is just a hype. doesn't really improve much of anything. i would rather have more memory than dual channel. but since you already have 512MB no point to get more than that.

Well im training to be a it technition so i know a fair bit but not a lot. But agreed dual channel mode doesn't give you much performance boost but it does give you a good 10-20% now if your using a high end systme you will need that but if not no worries. But i never thought that the weakest link thing would come into play in this situation but it makes sense so to speak seeing as how that 512mb stick wouldn't be able to keep up to the 256 sticks in duel channel mode.
Lets play with this shall we say you put 3 512mb sticks in same everything duel channel would be enabled correct? or do you still need the fourth stick to run it on or would it go into the tringular theory?

Isn't it true that with intel based boards (with 4 slots)...you have to fill, either 2 or all 4 slots to run in dual channel mode?

BTW My mobo has 6 slots, but I still haven't read up on all the fine details of filling all slots on this board. Some of the modules have to be single sided..or something, but I don't think I'll ever run that many memory sticks, to worry about it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom